Ferm cap questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gomb

Reaction score
I stopped by my LHBS today and asked about FermCap S. The lady said she didn't normally carry it but had a mistake come in on one of her shipments. She said she can't sell it and that I could have it. She produced a 500ml bottle of fermcap. The directions say to use 30grams to 10bbl. So here are the questions.

1. How much do you guys normally use in a 5 gallon batch

2. Does this stuff expire?

3. She had it in the refrigerator, does it need to be stored that way?

4. Anyone have some ideas on a different container that would be a little more conducive to getting a few drops out of?

1) 1-2 drops per gallon.

2-3) Yes, refrigerate it.

4) use an eye-dropper.

Normally I use 2-3 drops per gallon in kettle, and about 2 drops per gallon into fermenter This controls the foaming in both situations. Since it will be in the trub in the kettle, as well as the fermenter, I add it in both.

500ml of the stuff is going to be enough for a LOT of batches. Normally you find it in 2oz bottles (with the eye dropper cap).

I would keep it in the fridge, when not using it. If you plan in getting a smaller bottle to keep it in, get one of the ones with the eye dropper cap. Go for an amber/brown bottle too. Most recommend not keeping for more than a year, or year from the date on the bottle. But you could be ok for a span after that. I would use it until you see it's effectiveness really drop off. Since you got it for free, not much of a big deal to toss what's left after a year or two.

I only find that I need it for my main boil if I am doing 90 minutes, but I loooooove this stuff for making starters. Boiling DME in an Ehrlenmeyer flask was a nightmare, but fermcaps make it easy.

I do a full 6.5 gal boil in a 7.5 gal pot. Just as the wort comes to a boil, I put in 6 drops of Fermcap. Works like a charm.

If I where you I'd give this LHBS lady a 12 pack of homebrew or something :p.

You don't need to add it to both the fermentor and kettle. Once is enough. 1-2 drops per gallon- I usually do 7-10 drops for 5-6 gallon batch, added to kettle. Prevents boil over and majority of blow off. I ferment in 6 gallon carboy to the neck. Last time I lost 1/4 gallon. Before that I lost nothing to blow off.

I use 12 drops on a 7.5-7.75 gallon boil. Honestly, I wish I would have used FermCap sooner! Battling hot-break for 5 minutes was kind of a PITA... now I just add the drops, keep an eye on it and the hot break just sinks and no more boil-overs!:ban:

I do 2 drops per gal. I mainly use it when doing starters or if I am doing a 90 min boil, as it gets pretty close to the top.

Back