Ferm cabinet build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
I have a large fermentation cabinet powered by a 5K BTU a/c unit. However, I have come into possession of a 1 bbl stainless conical (1st prize in a brew comp :mug:) and need to be able to use it. My current set-up won't accommodate the big conical. I am planning to build a 3' x 3' x 7' insulated cabinet and cool it with a dorm fridge.

My question is: will the small 1.7 cu ft version have enough cooling power to drop 63 cu ft down to lager temps? Or will I need the bigger 3-ish cu ft version?

I plan on taking off the door and mating it directly in to the top of the cabinet and just setting a $10 personal fan from Wally World in the fridge to blow cool air.

I had thought about tying the new cabinet into the old one, but I have been having major freeze-up problems lately, so I don't think I want to put any more on to that little window a/c unit.

Back