fementing temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hello all,

so ive decided that my fermenting temps have been too high. i recently moved to a new top floor flat which is very warm.
its made me think about having to bring the fermt temps down.
the current room temp where i am now is at 25c. i belive ales want to ferment at around 20c??

my home brew has always given me bad hangovers, which i guess is due to high temps, and am getting bit bored of them haha. so ive decided to try and correct it.

is there an easy way to bring the temp down? as far as iam aware during the fermenting the temp can rise anther 10c, which would be bringing it way off.

any help much appreciated as always!

I've never heard of fermentation temps causing hangovers - but I'm not an expert. Temp control is normally used to prevent off favors.

Proper fermentation temp varies from yeast to yeast but yes, 16-20C tends to be the average.

If you don't have access to a fermentation chamber, One cheap and simple method is called a swamp bath. Submerge the fermenter in a larger container containing water with a soda bottle or two full of frozen water. You'll need to switch out the frozen bottles frequently, but it should keep your temps where you need them. You'll need to experiment with how many bottles to use to get you where you want to be.

The intensity of hangovers are usually blamed on fusel alcohols which tend to be excessive when fermenting too warm. Along with the ice bath you can also try evaporative cooling by directing a fan towards the water bath.

ShaineT said:
The intensity of hangovers are usually blamed on fusel alcohols which tend to be excessive when fermenting too warm.

Good to know - thank you.

another simple trick is to wrap a wet towel around the fermenter and put a box fan or any fan really in front of the fermenter....cools is down a few degrees. I tried this last night and dropped the temp by 4

Water bath with ice + wrap the fermenter in a towel (pour water all over towel)+ fan blowing = lower temps.

excellent people! thank you for your tips. i shall give this a go when the time comes. and yes, its the fusel's that are produced due to high temps and hangovers haha

Back