Favorite bands of all time....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, we sure have a lot of "classic rock" disciples on here. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just surprised at the uniformity of responses so far. My all-time list:

1. Uncle Tupelo
2. Son Volt
3. Wilco
4. about seventeen other bands all equally

In no particular order. I just did a mental count of which groups did I had the most LP's for - yes LPs.

Stranglers
Elvis Costello
XTC
Devo
Dead Kennedys
Blondie
B-52s

the art guy said:
3. Wilco...

Yeah, about time somebody mentioned them! Mine would be:

1. Cheap Trick
2. Beatles
3. CCR
4. Elvis Costello
5. Shoes

Also, props to The Pretenders, Heart, Todd Rungren, XTC, Queen, Foo Fighters, Weezer, The Cars, Beach Boys, Webb Wilder, Wheatus, Stevie Ray and The Bangles.

1. Allman Brothers Band
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Pink Floyd

After that it is pretty muddled, but a mixture of classic rock / blues.

Soulive said:
In no order;

Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Soulive
Charlie Hunter
Bob Marley
Queens of the Stone Age
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stone Temple Pilots
Beck

I'm sure there are more...

It's funny to see an oddball like Soulive in that list. One of these things is not like the other. It's kinda like James Taylor for me. I don't know why but but musical tastes seem to widen big time for every year added to your age. When I was 16, if it wasn't Metallica, it was a waste of time.

Ben Folds
Modest Mouse
Radiohead
Elliot Smith
Ray LaMontagne
Jose Gonzales
Beck
Kings of Convenience
Sigur Ros

Different.. but all good chill music.. and boy do i need to chill..

Soulive said:
In no order;

Led Zeppelin
Pearl Jam
Soulive
Charlie Hunter
Bob Marley
Queens of the Stone Age
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stone Temple Pilots
Beck

I'm sure there are more...

Oh I forgot Zero 7, especially their work with Sia Furler...

heh...there are so many, it's hard to pick 5 or even 10...here we go...

In no particular Order:

Judas Priest (and Halford)
Iron Maiden
3 Inches of Blood
Kalmah
Pantera
Testament
Slayer
Johnny Cash
The Doors
Tom Waits

Snot, lol..i use to love Snot.

:mug:

Allman Brothers
Skynyrd
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Kentucky Thunder
Blue Highway

Gotta love that Southern Rock!

Allman Brothers
Marshall Tucker
Charlie Daniels
Elvin Bishop
Lynyrd Skynyrd:ban: :rockin: :tank:

Bands I always come back around to are:

Brian Eno
Yo La Tengo
Flaming Lips
King Crimson (especially the Bruford, Fripp, Wheton line up. Don't care much for the Adrian Belew phase.)
Pavement
Bong Water

My musical tastes go all over the map

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band
Queen
John Cougar Mellonhead
Heart
Three Dog Night
Guess Who
Aerosmith

sorry, but i gotta put in a vote for the Grateful Dead.
also:
Dylan
The Band (!!!!!)
Stones.
Old Crow Medicine Show
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Sublime
Toots
New Grass Revival

etc, etc, etc......

Well, it changes for me from time to time....but all this week (month actually) it's been Iron Maiden. Gonna see them tomorrow LIVE!!!!!!

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

bperlmu said:
sorry, but i gotta put in a vote for the Grateful Dead......
Why are you saying sorry, I can't believe The Dead haven't been brought up yet.

My List:
Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
Allman Brothers
Govt Mule
Tom Petty
Widespread Panic
Bob Marley
Robert Randolph
Peter Tosh
Jimi Hendrix
The Doors
Phish

This is not a definitive list and is in no particular order, my likes and dislikes are growing every day. I enjoy music like I enjoy beer; to make a list of my favorites is an impossible task.

Music is like beer, different styles go with different occasions, just because it is a classic doesn't mean it is the best, new stuff can be equally as good if not better, some of the best can come from improvising, if you don't try it you can say you don't like it.

Pink Floyd
The Clash
Rolling Stones ( < 1974)
Sparklehorse
The Pixies
Can
The Cure
Bauhaus
Beck
Jesus Mary Chain
Love and Rockets
David Bowie
My Bloody Valentine
BRMC
Tom Petty
Depeche Mode
Yo La Tengo
Radiohead
Beatles

Black Francis!!!!! How could I have overlooked the Pixies?!?!?
and the White Stripes
Smashing Pumpkins
Roxy Music
Elvis Costello
Funkadelic

Growing up I listened to

The Little River Band
Kansas
Bob Dylan
James Taylor
Billy Joel
Eagles
Fletwood Mac
Rickie Lee Jones
Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers
The Byrds
Bruce Cockburn
The Band

I still listen to all of these artists. But in the last several years I've been listening to

T Bone Burnett
Peter Case
Bob Neuwirth
Wilco
Lucinda Williams
Merle Haggard
George Jones
The Louvin Brothers
The Gourds
The Handsome Family
Jon Langford
Buck Owens
Bob Wills
Dead Rock West
John Doe
Robbie Fulks

...etc.

Grateful Dead (saw them some 85 times and have countless hours of bootlegs)
Rush
Pink Floyd
Allmans
Iron Maiden (pre- Somewhere in Time)
Metallica (pre- Black Album)
Beatles (post- Rubber Soul)

I listen to just about anything including classical and opera, and excluding rap and hip-hop.

Bulls Beers said:
1.Led Zeppelin
4.Guns N Roses
+1

Also The Doors and Jimi Hendrix. There are lots more that I really like, but none are true favorites like those.

Listening to Reckeless Life right now, actually.

EDIT: W00t! 300th post!

In no particular order.

Umphrey's McGee
Pearl Jam
DMB
Jack Johnson
Bob Marley
Dead
Beatles
Dylan
Sublime
Page, Plant, JPJ, Bonham

I just got back from the in-laws where I was forced to drink more than one BMC product. So I've changed my views on best bands ever:

ABBA
Hanson
Bread
Partridge Family
Ace of Base

And the short lived solo career of Greg Brady...

Bob Marley - if I had to pick an all time favorite definitely Bob - or maybe Led Zep or Van Halen or Rush or Black Sabbath or The Ramones or Henry Rollins or Pink Floyd or Third World or Judas Priest or Triumph or Tab Benoit or The Allman Brothers or Gov't Mule or AC/DC or Foo Fighters or .... oh nevermind. Oh yeah, Nirvana!

Crap - I guess if I had to pick one I'd be screwed.

When I was a teenager back in the late 70s / early eighties, the Australian music scene was dominated by pub rock. Publicans realised that if they crammed as many young people into a pub as possible to see the big Australian bands, they'd make a squillion. And so they did. In Oz us near fiftyites remember when bands such as AC/DC and INXS would play a pub which was free to get in (but try getting back from the bar dry). The big bands in Australia also included Cold Chisel, Skyhooks, The Radiators, Dragon, The Angels, The Choirboys .. you probably have never heard of them but they were fantastic. Some still rock around on the oldies curcuit while a few are dead. But we remember them !!

It's a pity now that to see a band now you got to stand in a stadium or worse, sit in a theatre with a million other people.

In exactly this order:

All time Top Five(sound like a High Fidelity moment?)

Led Zep
Tool
Clutch
Kings of Leon
Floyd
Lamb of God(my best local band)Although Firehouse was pretty good:D

edit: I guess thats top six

Radiohead is up there along with Opeth, and The Doors. The Bends is in my top five favorite albums list.

I didn't actually count, but I'd have to say Zep is at the top of more lists in this thread than any other band.

No order:

Led Zepplin
Burning Spear (Ok, also Marley, but hey, I hadn't seen Spear listed yet).
Velvet Underground
The Grateful Dead
Black Sabbath

That's leaving out quite a bit and if you ask me again tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be a different list!

My top 5 would be:

1. Guns N Roses
2. Killswitch Engage
3. Metallica
4. Aerosmith

then daylight, and number 5 is hard to pick...

5. Probably Chilli Peppers or Pearl Jam... but more so their early stuff.

Fatgodzilla said:
When I was a teenager back in the late 70s / early eighties, the Australian music scene was dominated by pub rock. Publicans realised that if they crammed as many young people into a pub as possible to see the big Australian bands, they'd make a squillion. And so they did. In Oz us near fiftyites remember when bands such as AC/DC and INXS would play a pub which was free to get in (but try getting back from the bar dry). The big bands in Australia also included Cold Chisel, Skyhooks, The Radiators, Dragon, The Angels, The Choirboys .. you probably have never heard of them but they were fantastic. Some still rock around on the oldies curcuit while a few are dead. But we remember them !!

It's a pity now that to see a band now you got to stand in a stadium or worse, sit in a theatre with a million other people.

There are still some great young bands doing it hard in the pub scene. Depending on your musical taste, there are some really excellent bands getting around Australia.

If you look hard enough, you can see awesome shows without going to a stadium and even pick up a cheap CD to help the band if you like them.

Unfortunately its pretty hard to get ahead in the age of illegal download. Unless you are a radio friendly unit shifter that packs out stadiums... its tough.

The Doors
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
STP
Pink Floyd
Cream/Clapton
Black Sabbath
Audioslave