Fat Tire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anybody know if my 3 gallon brew pot is big enough for the austin homebrew extract kits? some places i've been looking have the instructions u can download and some say i need at least 3 gallons of water to brew their extract kits :( so i dunno where to get my next kit from now. i figured this pot would be plenty big for all extract kits, guess not

I've done a lot of extract kits with just a 2 gallon brewpot and then I top it off to 5 gallons after the wort cools and I dump it into the fermenting bucket. I've never had a problem. They have all come out fine.

AHS Fat Tire clone is quite good. Gone thru 2 batches already and third is on its way.

I'm pretty sure Northern Brewer has a Fat Tire clone, based on their description, and the fact that they call it Phat Tyre. You can do most extracts in smaller pots as AABass says, just know that your hop utilization may suffer in the thicker boil, and you may get more caramelization (darker colors, caramel flavors) than you want, and you have to be maybe a little more careful about burning when you add the extract. That said, I'm not very scientific when I do extract brews...I just get it as full as I can without risking boil over, then fill to 5 gals in the fermenter. Good luck, have fun!

I've done a lot of extract kits with just a 2 gallon brewpot and then I top it off to 5 gallons after the wort cools and I dump it into the fermenting bucket. I've never had a problem. They have all come out fine.

nice, i was wondering if i could just use about 2 gallons of water even though it calls for 3 and be fine

You can do most extracts in smaller pots as AABass says, just know that your hop utilization may suffer in the thicker boil, and you may get more caramelization (darker colors, caramel flavors) than you want, and you have to be maybe a little more careful about burning when you add the extract. That said, I'm not very scientific when I do extract brews...I just get it as full as I can without risking boil over, then fill to 5 gals in the fermenter. Good luck, have fun!

sweet :mug:

When doing your boil with less liquid, then topping off/diluting with water in the fermentation bucket you just need to remember that you're basically doing a high gravity boil, and that will change flavors slightly. I was just listening to strong brew on brewingnetwork.com, and from what I remember your biggest change will come from the hops effectiveness. You may want to use more hops than the recipe calls for, if you can get them. There were some other differences (they spent about an hour just talking about the boil) but they're not quite as game changing. If you're curious, their 3rd episode on high gravity beer in the archives is the one that centers around the boil.

Just my take on the Northern Brewer Phat Tyre....it's a pretty good beer in my opinion. One of my favorites, actually. That being said, it's not what I'd call a clone, at all.

Midwest makes a "flat tire" ale. Never tried it, but have enjoyed their other kits and most require less than 3 gal

Back