Fat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willtom

Reaction score
Has any one came across a good fat tire clone receipt? I would like to make that my next attempt. Just curious if any one has tried it before.

Do a internet search for "flat ass tired". There is a long thread on the green board about this beer that's meant to be similar to Fat Tire. It on my list of beers to try because the grain bill has a unique mix of toasted malts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

a simple google search will yield many results for a clone recipe. i've seen at least 2 or 3 here on HBT.

Thank you for the input brew toad is the site I use most often. That have a lot of different bees on there. I was more looking to see if any one had a recipe they had brewed before

I made an attempt in April of 2013, it was a modified recipe from the thread linked at the bottom, and info that New Belgium provides in their website. I'll list my initial recipe, then give my tasting notes:

5 lbs pale 2 row
2 lbs home toasted pale 2 row
1 lb Dark Munich
8 oz Crystal 80
2 oz Pale Chocolate
8 oz Victory
2 oz Carapils

1.047 OG (81% efficiency), 1.012 FG, 4.9% ABV

4 oz Target, 60 minutes
0.5 oz Williamette, 10 minutes
0.5 East Kent Goldings, 0 minutes

18.5 IBU est

After letting it age for a month in the keg it showed flashes of a fresh Fat Tire in a keg. I thought it needed another 2-4 oz Victory (more nut flavor please!) and substitute 1 lb more of Dark Munich for pale 2 row. Also the yeast flavors were not right. I have heard in the past that New Belgium does not pastuerize/filter the yeast in CANS of Fat Tire. You might be able to culture the dregs. No live yeast in the bottles.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/fat-tire-clone-byo-dec-2010-a-290619/

Thank you solbes! The info you supplied is very helpful. What was the yeast that you used? Is it safe to assume your mash was at 155 for 60 minutes?

I used Bells yeast for this one, which normally is good for 70% of my brews. Not for Fat Tire apparently.

My notes say I mashed at 154 for 60 minutes and then a mashout at 170.

Back