Fat Tire clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamnw

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday.
It was a fiasco. Too much to get into.

OG = 1.030 (waaaayyyyy offfff the mark)

My question is: If it tasts like colored water right now, is fermenting going to help any at all?
It is bubbling like crazy about 1-2 bubbles a second.

Thanks.

At least I have a good Hefe conditioning in bottles right now.
I guess I need something to give away!!!! Haa, haa..

I hate to make you white a novel on the forum, but what went wrong?

I brewed this 3 weeks ago (mini mash) and it went really good. Just thought I would ask what you had problems with.

I hate to make you white a novel on the forum, but what went wrong?

I brewed this 3 weeks ago (mini mash) and it went really good. Just thought I would ask what you had problems with.

+1 - I tooWould be interested in knowing what happened. I did the AHS Fat Tire partial mash and just bottled two days ago. Hit both OG and FG spot on...Would love to help.

I've got a Fat Tire clone in teh Primary right now as well. What was your recipe? My OG was well off the mark as well.

Is this an extract recipe? If you added all the extract, then relax - the beer will be fine. It's just operator error on the sample pull, that's all.

Keep in mind, this is my 2nd batch ever.
I am in no way blaming this on my wife... LOL
She brought home distilled water, instead of spring.
I know nothing about my tap water, but it is good water. So I used it instead.
This is a kit I bought from a LHBS (not local to me)

Boiled 3 gallons of tap for 10 min.
(let cool, took kids for a walk to beaver dam, live in the country)
@ 140*F added grain bag
Steeped @ 155-160 for 30 minutes.
Removed grain, and slowly stirred in DME over a period of 15min.
Brought to rolling boil, and started timer for 60min, added 1st hop
2nd hop, 10min left
3rd hop, 3min left

During this time, I was sanitizing and rehydrating yeast and such.
When the time went off, I looked at my pot, I could not believe almost all the water had boiled off. I basically had Liquid extract in the bottom of my pot. It really was like LME.

I put 2 gallons of distilled water in my carboy, and poured the liquid extract wort in, and shook the living daylights out of it. I topped it off to 5 gallons, and shook it some more.

I samped it for a gravity reading. It was very watery. No sh** you say... LOL
It started bubbling <12 hours, and it was bubbling like crazy this morning, and has a decent krausen.

I have an 8 gallon pot, next batch is going to be at least 4 gallons in the boil. I was trying to avoid a boilover... Dangit
I ordered another one of these kits, and will try, try again this weekend.

RDWHAHB.......if it went wrong, youre now now the proud owner of bad beer......but it's still beer. Enjoy your mistake, learn from it and move on.

I just did an AHS fat tire ale and it tastes nothing like the original, but it's still a decent beer

Hmm....I don't know if having only 3 gallons of water is your problem though. I only boil 2.5 gallons of water when I do all my extracts. After adding my extract I'm around 3 gallons. By the end of the 60 minute boil I'm back around 2-2.5 gallons. So your situation kind of stumps me......sorry man.

I had the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same recipe and I even got the EXACT same OG reading. This, too, is my 2nd batch ever.

This is freaking me out.

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope the hydrometer was wrong for both or either of us.

1) Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Granted 1.030 is super low, but put that distilled water to good use and make sure your gravity is 1.000 at the temperature marked on the hydrometer.

2) What temperature was your wort when you took the og?

3) I know you said you shaked the nuts off the wort when you mixed with that 2 gallons but... it is common to get a wrong reading because you are topping off with water. It typically isn't properly mixed when you grab the sample from the top.

Were your grains too tightly packed?

My recipe was a mini-mash (partial mash?) and I'm pretty sure I had the grains in too small of a bag. All I had was a small muslin bag and it was late at night, so I stuffed all my grains into this small bag, tied it closed and ended up with a veritable "grain ball" that I just rolled around hoping to get as much of the grainy goodness as I could extract.

After all was said and done, with the wort in the fermenter, I took a gravity reading and got 30.

So, with all that said, would having grains too tightly packed when seeping result in a low gravity reading?

Sad to say, but this batch is going down the drain.
After 3 weeks in primary, it has an FG of 1.010, and it is a very good looking color, but... It tastes like colored water. Very little flavor if any.
I hate it, but if I wanted to drink water, I would just buy Coors Lite.

Dissapointing no doubt.

I have a Spotted Cow clone that I just moved out of the fermentor to the keg this weekend. I had the same problem with very low gravity, but went ahead anyway. I will sample it in a week or so, but Im very worried. It looked and tasted very very thin. It was also my first all grain batch, and my mash did not go so well.

The Fat Tire clone is one I want to try next!

Back