Fat Tire clone (good)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev

Reaction score
For those that want to brew a pretty accurate Fat Tire brew.

This is a Fat Tire clone I did and is pretty spot on! The grain bill is HUGE but man! Talk about flavor! :rockin:

-------oOo-------

Fat and Tired (I just called it this, not to confuse with the other Fat and Tired)

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-E Belgian & French Ale, Belgian Specialty Ale

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.070
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 40
Min Clr: 3 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.75
Anticipated OG: 1.077 Plato: 18.75
Anticipated SRM: 18.8
Anticipated IBU: 19.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.45 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.060 SG 14.74 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
61.0 9.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
6.8 1.00 lbs. Caramel Pils Malt Belgium 1.034 2
20.3 3.00 lbs. Munich Malt(dark) America 1.033 20
6.8 1.00 lbs. Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.035 24
3.4 0.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt Belgium 1.034 22
1.7 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.80 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 17.3 90 min.
0.40 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 2.5 20 min.
0.40 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP051 California Ale V

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Marin County CA
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 12.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 10.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 15.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 17.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 13.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 74.0 ppm

pH: 8.31

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name: mash

Total Grain Lbs: 14.75
Total Water Qts: 14.75 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 3.69 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 80.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mash 5 45 154 154 Infuse 168 14.75 1.00

Total Water Qts: 14.75 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 3.69 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.87 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

LOL! There are a few out there. This one is probably the best!

:rockin:

- -Trev

Why don't you go ahead and added it to the recipe database here. I may give this one a try in a couple of months.

trev said:
LOL! There are a few out there. This one is probably the best!

:rockin:

- -Trev

I sense a challenge in the making......

click on my recipes

<--------------------------------

Chimone said:
I sense a challenge in the making......

click on my recipes

<--------------------------------

Hehehe. Will do when I get a chance. Just starting my starter tonight in 5 minutes for my next AG, a Hefe. :) Can't wait for brew day on Sunday!

Nice avatar BTW! :D

-- Trev

What would replacing M.O. base malt instead of 2-row? Would that change the profile too much?

Most of the clones I've seen use Chico yeast. Is this the proper yeast used to best replicate Fat Tire?
BTW, the clone I made was an excellent beer. Wasn't exactly like FT but good none the less.

RichBrewer said:
Most of the clones I've seen use Chico yeast. Is this the proper yeast used to best replicate Fat Tire?
BTW, the clone I made was an excellent beer. Wasn't exactly like FT but good none the less.

Wyeast #1762 Belgian Abbey II is more along the lines of what they use. Im not sure exactly which strain New Belgium uses though......hmmm, maybe it will be a VSS sometime in the near future :rockin:

Chimone said:
Wyeast #1762 Belgian Abbey II is more along the lines of what they use. Im not sure exactly which strain New Belgium uses though......hmmm, maybe it will be a VSS sometime in the near future :rockin:
Now wouldn't that be cool!

Chimone said:

I did mine with white labs 550 and thought it was not appropriate for the beer based on my recollection of the taste of the original.

Chimone said:
try WLP 540 Abbey IV next time. It might be a little closer

http://www.yeastbank.com/np/platinumseries.htm

fwiw, BYO clone recipe mentions Wyeast 1272 or White Labs 051 as the recommended strains..which makes sense to me since the phenols and spicy properties of 550 didn't really fit in line with what I recall as a fairly neutral beer from a yeast perspective.

brewt00l said:
fwiw, BYO clone recipe mentions Wyeast 1272 or White Labs 051 as the recommended strains..which makes sense to me since the phenols and spicy properties of 550 didn't really fit in line with what I recall as a fairly neutral beer from a yeast perspective.

White Labs WLP051 California Ale V all the way bro! I just popped the first one open yesterday and
WOW!! It's absolutely spot on but way better than Fat Tire itself!! It's a little more sticky and flavorful and higher ABV (I used a huge grain bill) but man what a beer!!

Now I know why people make their own bread and brew their own beer.

Brew on!! :rockin:

Cheers,

-- Trev

DeathBrewer said:
i didn't know there was such a thing as a "good" fat tire clone :p

Hehe..not saying this is you DB, but I think there is a population of purists out there that do not like Fat Tire, just because it is a craft brew that has become BFM. If it was not as popular as it was, they would not be so down on it. They are the same ones that make fun of all the BFM folks for not liking good beer. I think Fat Tire is the poster child for a large portion of BFM drinkers starting to embrace good beer.

trev said:
White Labs WLP051 California Ale V all the way bro! I just popped the first one open yesterday and
WOW!! It's absolutely spot on but way better than Fat Tire itself!! It's a little more sticky and flavorful and higher ABV (I used a huge grain bill) but man what a beer!!

Now I know why people make their own bread and brew their own beer.

Brew on!! :rockin:

Cheers,

-- Trev

which recipe did you do?

brewt00l said:

sounds good, Im going to use 051 next time and see how it turns out

AHS has an excellent FT clone. It is one of my 'always have' brews. I brew the extract version, but AHS offers all kinds.

cbird01 said:
Hehe..not saying this is you DB, but I think there is a population of purists out there that do not like Fat Tire, just because it is a craft brew that has become BFM. If it was not as popular as it was, they would not be so down on it. They are the same ones that make fun of all the BFM folks for not liking good beer. I think Fat Tire is the poster child for a large portion of BFM drinkers starting to embrace good beer.

So true.... I don't think anybody here would say that fat tire is the best brew in the world, but I think it tastes good. And they sell it at sams club by the case for $6 less than corona, and I live like two thousand miles away from the nearest beach.

GoatFarmersInternational said:
So true.... I don't think anybody here would say that fat tire is the best brew in the world, but I think it tastes good. And they sell it at sams club by the case for $6 less than corona, and I live like two thousand miles away from the nearest beach.

I'm not a huge fat tire fan either and won't *even* buy the bottled stuff. I'll occasionally buy it if it is on draft. I can say one thing, I can't stand Fat Tire bottled but mine is great and I am very critical about my brew.

I even mimicked the low carbonation with less corn sugar. Turned out perfect for me and my wife and friends love it. :)

I'll post the recipe up tonight here, I've been super busy lately yacht racing. I took some to the beer can races and they love it.

-- Trev

Back