British Brown Ale Fat Squirrel clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So. I brewed the partial mash recipe and added a 1/2 lb. of 6-row to try to get more diastatic power. I ended with an OG of 1.064. That was 13 days ago. Hydro sample today tasted great - very bitter but I was only at a gravity of 1.026. Even if tomorrow's sample is the same should I bottle or give the carboy a swirl and let it sit another week? I think there is a great balance in the beer now and it's already 5% abv just curious

I don't know! I brewed this recently, and it finished at 1.012. 1.026 seems terribly high, but perhaps the high temperature of the partial mash means more unfermentables. I just would be uncomfortable with considering bottling at 1.026 for this beer.

Cool. I thought I might have unfermentables in there being at 160 for so long. I'll wait it out. Can't hurt right?

Waited it out another 10 days. Final gravity halted at 1.024. Bottled, no explosions yet. Still tasted great so far - lesson learned - control my temps better. I think I'll certainly try this recipe multiple times in the future.

Update: tastes great after carbing up and the bitterness mellowed a bit. I think this could be even better after another month in bottles.

I made 10 gallons this a couple weeks ago with Marris Otter. My LHBS only had 1 packet of Nottingham, so I used Nottingham in 5 Gals. and So4 in the other. The S04 went from grain to glass in 9 days (Force carb'd keg) and the Nottingham
took 2 weeks to fall clear. I had never used Nottingham before and after tasting both, I personally prefer the So4. It tastes Maltier/Sweeter.
I never had the original Fat squirrel, but this recipe looked good. And it is !

I tried downloading your beersmith recipe for this and it gives me an error and won't load the file. Is there any chance you could repost it or send it in a PM? I love Fat Squirrel and want to make this.

I tried downloading your beersmith recipe for this and it gives me an error and won't load the file. Is there any chance you could repost it or send it in a PM? I love Fat Squirrel and want to make this.

The recipe is in the first post- I don't have the old BSM files anymore, after my computer died.

My over-excited friend purchased everything for this recipe, but has never brewed before, lol!

I've done extracts, but never an all-grain. I don't have the time to do anything but a BIAB with a mashout reheat.

Please help a brother out, and offer suggestions for the following:
-How many approximate gallons of water should I initially use if I don't plan to sparge? (I don't know how much water the grains will absorb, and will boil off).
-Should I drop in some Irish Moss during the last 15mins of boil?

Many thanks in advance. It would be a shame to throw out such a great recipe and selection of grains.

My over-excited friend purchased everything for this recipe, but has never brewed before, lol!

I've done extracts, but never an all-grain. I don't have the time to do anything but a BIAB with a mashout reheat.

-How many approximate gallons of water should I initially use if I don't plan to sparge? (I don't know how much water the grains will absorb, and will boil off).

Many thanks in advance. It would be a shame to throw out such a great recipe and selection of grains.

Grains will generally absorb .125 gallon/pound in the mash.

I have no idea how much you'll boil off. With my system, in the winter I boil off nearly two gallons an hour (I live in a dry climate, relatively, especially in the winter) but in the summer it's more like 1.5 gallons an hour. You'll boil off whatever you normally boil off. That won't change.

You can use Irish moss. I use whirlfloc..

How many gallons really depends on your equipment losses, grain absorption, and boil off. Add these to your total expected volume and you have your starting volume. You can figure out all these variables by doing a few BIAB batches (and taking good notes) but that won't help you foe this batch. You probably already know your boil off and equipment losses from doing your extract batches. There's a BIAB calculator online you can use to get a starting point for your grain absorption. Just Google it. There's also a BIAB Brewing (with pics) sticky on here that I would recommend reading as well. I do smaller batches but I believe 7.5gal is a good starting point for 5 gal batches. Good luck!

Looks like N. B. only has Caravienne (sp?) in 50 pound bags :( Those who know more then this noob, please advise a nice substitute.

Thank you!
FoamFollower (A transplanted yooper from Escanaba)

Just received a six-pack of Fat Squirrel for Christmas--I need to make this! I forget yearly how awesome this beer is (we had a keg of it at our wedding and it rocked). Any thoughts on the merits of Maris Otter vs. Pilsner? I'm leaning toward Maris Otter since I like the nuttiness more, but does the munich/cara-malt balance depend on Pilsner?

Just received a six-pack of Fat Squirrel for Christmas--I need to make this! I forget yearly how awesome this beer is (we had a keg of it at our wedding and it rocked). Any thoughts on the merits of Maris Otter vs. Pilsner? I'm leaning toward Maris Otter since I like the nuttiness more, but does the munich/cara-malt balance depend on Pilsner?

Both will work for this recipe. Your choice.

Wow, last post 2014!? It's revival time!

Was gonna brew a Zombie Dust today, but had absolutely no Citra at home. So I quickly whipped this together instead!

60% Pils
10% Munich 2
10% Oats
5% Cara-munich 2
5% Cara-red
7.2% Cara-pils
2.8% Carafa 1

Now, not really like the original recipe, but I had no flaked barley, nor caravienna. So Caramunich and Carared got to impersonate that, and some Carapils for the head. I was gonna use some Brown malt as well, but it appears I forgot... oh well!

Chinook for bittering and Saaz at 10 min. Hit my numbers exactly in terms of volume and original gravity, which is quite surprising as I tested a fly sparge when I normally batch sparge or no-sparge. So I'm quite excited!

Was a small batch, 2.5 gallons, and I rehydrated a full pack of S-04 before dunking it in there, so expecting a vigorous start to the fermentation.

Am 6 days in. After kraussen fell at day 3-4 I started bumping with 1C twice per day, from 16C to 20C (60/61 - 68F). Looks like I'm at 1.014 now, which brewsmith predicts as terminal, so I'll pull it from the fridge and let it sit in ambient (18C or so) until next weekend.

Back