Fastferment conical - thermowell probe size??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
Anyone know what size probe is needed to fit the thermowell on this fermenter? I ordered an STC-1000 controller and the probe that came with it is too small. The probe doesn't contact the inner wall for the thermowell.

If I wrap the probe with aluminum foil until it's big enough to lodge into the thermowell, will I get fairly accurate temp readings??

Any tricks to making the probe I have usable with this thermowell?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

I am starting my fermentation chamber build this weekend so will need a good fitting probe or a way to make it work very soon. I hope... ;)

Most folks use a "thermal paste", to insure conductivity betwixt probe and thermowell.

I'll be darn. That makes perfect sense. Like the thermal paste used for CPUs...

The probe is 5mm. I'm guessing the thermowell is 8mm. I wonder if the thermal paste would be effective with that amount of gap??

The FastRack folks responded to my question and stated the thermowell has an ID of 9mm

Hi all,

I bought a $7 kitchen probe that measures from -10C to +110C. Then I used a short piece of an old cork and shaped it to an OD of about 15mm; roughly the ID of the thermowall probe head. Then drilled a hole thru the cork for the probe for a snug fit. Now I have a cheap thermometer that stays in the thermowell and does the job perfectly fine. Cheers!

Back