Faster set and forget carbonation with 2.5gal keg vs 5 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobomoto

Reaction score
Here is a question I am having trouble finding an answer for on all of the interwebs...

I just kegged a batch for the first time yesterday (STOKED!) in one of the MoreBeer 2.5 gal Torpedo kegs.

My basic understanding of the physics of carbonation leads me to believe that I will get faster carbonation using the set and forget method in my 2.5 gal keg vs a 5 gal keg. Is this true?

My reasoning is that the surface area of the beer in contact with CO2 is the same in a 2.5 gal keg or a 5 gal keg, but the volume of beer to be carbonated is half.

Will I then see fully carbonated beer in half the time? We all know that shaking your keg to increase the surface area of beer in contact with the CO2 yields much faster carbonation so it should be true, no?

Any physics experts out there or just regular dudes with real world experience with these 2.5 gal cornys know the answer?

Is carbonation a function of temperature, pressure, volume of liquid, surface area and time?

Either way, I'm just going to relax and draw samples/drink over the next few weeks and see where I stop seeing improvement. Just curious what the answer is since I can't seem to find any info on volume of beer affecting carb time.

It would certainly be an added bonus to my already easy peasy small batch stove top biab/small keg in the kitchen fridge system. It'd be great to also get quick and easy set and forget carbonation.. can I say Small Batch FTW yet???

Yes, it'll take considerably less time to carb a half-filled keg than a full one of the same geometry, though perhaps not quite half the time...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back