Faster fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I did my first BIAB batch on Sunday (AIPA, OG 1.064, 5.5 gal) and checked the gravity last night (4 days later) and it was already 1.011! That's about 82% attenuation so far! It went crazy the first couple days, no blow off thanks to Pacote 376 and a lot of headspace. It is still bubbling veeeery slowly now, but it's pretty much done, not much krausen left at all. I used WLP001 with a 2L starter, mashed at 154F.

Is it common for BIAB or all-grain batches to ferment out this quickly? Maybe I overpitched or over oxygentated. But it tastes great!

Seeing that it's basically done, I may start dry hopping in a few days, dry hop for a week, cold crash for a week, then bottle.

That all sounds pretty normal. Your wort was fermentable, your yeast was healthy. Maybe do a taste test and make sure you don't have diacetyl problems, but with WLP007 and 5 days or fermentation, I'd be surprised. I've had quick ferments that didn't want to clean up their byproducts and took a couple more days, so it's never bad to check.

let it sit for a solid 2 to 3 weeks... seriously. Let the yeast work out and clear up all their lovely bi-products.

Latest posts

Back