Farmhouse Brewing Supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

Reaction score
Has anyone bought through FBS before? I think they have pretty good prices on many
items and wanted to know if they're reputable.

I've placed 3 or 4 orders from them I think. Prices are great and shipping is reasonable. I like that you can get hops in 4oz quantities so I'm not stuck sitting on 1lb of something like with ordering through hopsdirect.

Definitely recommend them! :)

Definately the best price by far for the Perlick 525 ss faucet unless you want to order 25 of them ( and who has a 25 tap kegerator anyways :) )

I have ordered from him a couple of times and have had no problems and i thought the prices were great.

Cheap prices, good service. Specials are often especially good. Last order I got enough grain, hops and yeast for a 5-gallon batch PLUS a pound of hops for about $4 more (including shipping!) than just the grains and yeast would have been at my LHBS.

I've ordered from them three times now.

John is nice and helpful, I have him on Facebook too. He's very interested in brewing himself (I guess most are in the business, but you'd be surprised at how some are just business owners and not brewers) and is knowledgeable it seems. Active on the forums which is a plus.

Prices are good, and I've never had a problem with inadequate quality or packaging.

Bought 2 pounds of hops (4 varieties, 8 ounces each) plus about 34 pounds of grain with my first order from them. Plan on placing another order with them in about a month (should have used up my base malt by then, and have a grain mill here)...

Once I have my keezer planned out, I'll look to them for what I can get for parts too.

I've only ordered from there one time for my Perlick faucets. Best price around and fast shipping. Items were as advertised.

I also got Perlicks from them, plus I've ordered hops on other occasions. The first time I took the trouble to open up the vacuum sealed packs and measure the hop weights in each pack, and each was spot on. Haven't bothered since. Great service, quick shipping, great prices.

I placed and order @6am CT today. I already have an email confirming my shipping label has been printed (10CT). WOW! Great service is so far! 25lbs of Premium 2-row and 1 lb of Munich and 1lb of Crystal. Also bought some yeast. Can't wait to brew!

Got a question, how does the 4 oz hop amount come packaged? Are they one single bag with 4 oz in it? Or 4 separate 1 oz bags?

One package, I order through them all the time!

*edit: guy below me did a much better job explaining

Thanks just put a $75 order in! Had a little bit better selection than hopsdirect (who I usually deal with). Plus Citra leaf hops for $18 a pound is pretty good I think. Never brewed with them but with what everyone says about them I dont think I can go wrong!

I have stopped by their new physical location and they have a pretty darn good selection and John is very knowledgable in brewing. They even had som hbc hops that are almost impossible to find!

You may want to stay away from hops on sale. I purchased two 4oz bags and they were both stale. No aroma, no flavor. Looked the color of dead grass.

Great prices and fast shipping. Never had a problem and I've ordered tons from him. Also gotten 3 barrels from him as well and I suggest you guys try them!

Has anyone bought through FBS before? I think they have pretty good prices on many
items and wanted to know if they're reputable.

I bought a 4 ounce pack of Wai-Iti from them in July. Just opened to make a batch and there was only 3.8 ounces in the pack. They included the package weight as part of the hop weight. Emailed them and got no reply. Just not right. I won't buy again from them. If my purchase is standard procedure for them you will get shorted on the weight of hops you buy.

I bought a 4 ounce pack of Wai-Iti from them in July. Just opened to make a batch and there was only 3.8 ounces in the pack. They included the package weight as part of the hop weight. Emailed them and got no reply. Just not right. I won't buy again from them. If my purchase is standard procedure for them you will get shorted on the weight of hops you buy.

I've bought many packages of hops from Farmhouse over the past 4 to 5 years and have never had an issue with weights below what was stated on the package. I typically weigh out my hops by the gram and track all the ingredients on a perpetual vs actual inventory, so any discrepancy on the negative side would immediately stand out.

This got me curious so I went out and weighed a pack. It weighs 4.17 ounces.. How long did you allow for a response. Not every business has someone checking emails all day..

It always gets me when a person has one problem and says "I won't buy again from them" before even getting a response.....

You are also assuming that your experience is typical... I cannot confirm, I haven't weighed out all my packs, but I usually make my additions in ounces and the last addition out of a pack is usually more than one ounce, so I would say your experience is an anomaly.

Farmhouse has been one of my favorite stores for years.

I've bought many packages of hops from Farmhouse over the past 4 to 5 years and have never had an issue with weights below what was stated on the package. I typically weigh out my hops by the gram and track all the ingredients on a perpetual vs actual inventory, so any discrepancy on the negative side would immediately stand out.

I also weigh by the gram and have very good scales. This was my 1st purchase with them and it was short. Sent an email over a week ago and just silence. That’s all I know

I also weigh by the gram and have very good scales. This was my 1st purchase with them and it was short. Sent an email over a week ago and just silence. That’s all I know

I would recommend sending another email. It is not a very deep operation with a lot of people running around handling things.

Back