Fantastic smash ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpfuror

Reaction score
I like to brew small smash recipes so I can get familiar with the flavor profile of the hops. I typically build the grain and hop additions (AAU) the same for all recipes. This by far is absolutely the best I have put together.

Let me know what you think.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal
Brewer: rpfuror
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Wyeast Laboratories. Denny's Favorite 50 1450

Ingredients
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.3 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (baked 275@40mins) (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.8 %
0.50 oz Saaz [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.50%] (30 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU

Mash @ 154 / 60 min Mashout-Sparge 170 / 10 min

How long do you let the malt mellow after toasting? I have read that it really improves over a week or two. Last time I toasted, I only gave it a day and I think some acrid stuff went into the beer. Still good, but pretty harsh (US Pale Ale/Cascade SMaSH).

How long do you let the malt mellow after toasting? I have read that it really improves over a week or two. Last time I toasted, I only gave it a day and I think some acrid stuff went into the beer. Still good, but pretty harsh (US Pale Ale/Cascade SMaSH).

I have tried it different ways.. this one I baked and dumped the semi-hot grain into the mill and mashed probably 20 mins later.

My last batch (with Columbus) I baked the grain a couple days earlier... it came out less sweet (barely tasted the malt).

IMO this recipe for a smash is very well balanced (if you can called a smash balanced) with flavor/sweet from the malt bitter/floral from the hops.

Back