False Bottoms, Diptubes, Bazookas Oh My!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriangleIL

Reaction score
I'd love some feedback on the lower half of a keggle setup. I.e. how do you setup your false bottoms, dip tubes, mesh tubes, bazookas, hop blockers on your various keggles?

I'm specifically looking for advice on the MLT and the BK. Personally I will be doubling my HLT as a BK from time to time, so I plan to make them both BKs.

I was thinking of doing a 15" FB with a centered dip tube in the MLT. For the BK, I was thinking of doing a 12" FB with a mesh screen and a centered dip tube. Does this make sense? Should I consider an offset diptube (near the keg wall) for the BK?

Also, how important is it to have some copper in your system somewhere? I am debating the SS versus copper diptube (the rest of the system I'm hoping will be SS).

Thanks!

I have been using braided ss contected to 1/2 copper for years now in my tun and keggle. I use to use hop bags. Tried it without one session and it was all downhill from there. I use a counterflow chiller to cool things down after boiling. Now, if I use one of the plate chillers that are on the market I might have to re-evaluate it. But so fare no issues with braided ss.

My current plan is as follows:

BK - 12" false bottom with centered dip tube

MLT - 1/2" copper pickup attached to 2" of braided SS via a T fitting

Does this sound good, or would someone recommend something different?

Back