False Bottom Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so this might get a little long winded so please bare with me. I am planning on building a 2 tier setup for my brew rig using 3 sanke kegs. The top tier will have my HLT and Mash Tun and the bottom tier will have the Boil Kettle. so I know there will be hundreds of people that will have an opinion on why I should or shouldn't do my set up this way but that is not what I am here to ask.

So what am I here to ask you might say? I am curious about false bottoms. For the mash tun I don't plan on using pump to get the wort to the boil kettle I want to use gravity. I have seen where people have used the false bottoms with dip tubes. Now I am no physics major by any means but I know liquid won't flow uphill with out something pushing or pulling it (like a pump). So can you use a false bottom with a dip tube without a pump and if you can how does it work? If not what do you all suggest for a false bottom so I can drain the wort out of this great SS valve I just got in the mail with gravity?

Thank you all for all of your help and advice.

Brian

As long as your kettle is below your mash tun, it will work. It operates like a siphon. I need a picture to explain it... Hopefully someone can chime in with better words than I could use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

As long as the kettle is below the mash tun, yes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for the info dirk. Can everyone post your suggested false bottoms that you would recommend? Thanks again.

Brian

You have to have a hose attached to the outside of the valve for the syphon to continue down past the valve height.

Buy your false bottom from Jaybird at NorCalBrewingSolutions.com. Simply the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes. And here's how you do it. Pick up a SS barb that will screw onto that great SS valve you just got. Then pick up some silicon tubing that will fit snugly on the end of that barb (a SS worm hose clamp wouldn't hurt here). Make sure that your tubing is long enough to drop below the lowest point that liquid rests in your top tier. As long as the surface of liquid in your lower tier stays below the liquid in your upper tier for the entire transfer you will have created an effective siphon. Best squishes!!

You have to have a hose attached to the outside of the valve for the syphon to continue down past the valve height.

Buy your false bottom from Jaybird at NorCalBrewingSolutions.com. Simply the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the plug RoundKid!

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back