False bottom/Bazooka

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPME

Reaction score
For BIAB methods using one BK, as a noob to this, what are you guys using, if any? Trying to reduce sludge getting into fermentor. Would a bazooka get clogged up? Is a false bottom worth the expense?

Thanks and sorry if this has been a topic already. I looked quickly and didn't see one.

Thanks guys!
Smitty

No need for a false bottom or bazooka unless you're applying heat while mashing (false bottom) or using something like a plate chiller that you don't want clogged (bazooka). Don't worry about sludge in your kettle. Lot's of folks, including myself, tip the kettle over and dump everything into the fermenter. Heck, @wilserbrewer ferments in his kettle.

I agree, neither is needed but I'll put a bazooka tube in (i already had it from my traditional brewing days) so that if I miss the hop spider with some hop cones they wont clog my valve.

Ok cool. Wasn't sure if bother. I do go hop heavy and even with bags I still get a ton of sludge. Maybe a hop spider might be a better option to try and help.

The biggest help for me has been to whirlpool when I'm using lots of hops. Mostly just to keep the volume of hops out of my fermenter. Otherwise all goes in and settles out.

Back