Falconers Flight = Armpit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kblankenship11

Reaction score
So I bought a bunch of falconers flight hops on sale from my LHBS. They were 2011 from Hopunion. I made a Rye-IPA with them; 1oz Columbus at 60, 1 oz FF at 30 and 1 oz FF at 1 minute.

I took a sample last night and WHOA, it literally smells like my armpits after a run in July. The taste is bitter and as expected from an IPA, no off-flavors either. Only the aroma.

It's been sitting there for three weeks so I threw an extra ounce of Cascade in there to dry-hop it. Hopefully that backs down the armpit aroma...

I'm guessing the falconers flight at 1 minute is the culprit since it's only the aroma hop I used. Has anyone else had the same experience with these hops?

Falconers is actually a blend of popular American hops if I remember right. It shouldn't smell bad. Maybe they were old or oxidized? Old/stale hops can smell like really stinky cheese.

Heh I’m trying to figure out what jrgtr42 is reacting to because even in 2013 the 2011 crop was kind of old.

For relevance sake the only time I used Falconers Flight I got the oniony aroma of stale or old hops as well. That was in 2015 I think? They were not from the 2011 crop (or were they???!!!).

Please tell me you intentionally waited eight years to post a reply to this thread, to prove a point... heh heh... ;)
ohhhhh...... :eek::eek::(:(🤬🤬
It came up on the latests posts list - Don't know how, and my bad for not looking at the OP dates. But even so, 2 years is still questionable for hops, unless maybe in full vacuum deep freeze.

I love a "good stinky". But bad is bad. Pelletized hops have a great aging resistance if they were packaged nitro flushed and kept cold... like 3 years with manageable degradation (meaning, have to add slightly more month/month for same results). The rancid or off flavor comes from o2 exposure and heat, since there's no 100% way to pack without 'some' o2, I believe it bakes in degradation. This has been experimented with, and it's proved out with my experience. Also, hop oil Co2 extraction, or otherwise has by far the longest shelf life, I just wish we could "dry hop" with extractions.

Back