Failed - still flat after 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsbrew101

Reaction score
I recently brewed a wee heavy scotch ale, second time with this recipe, primed with maple syrup which I've done several times with very good success but this time, not so much, actually it's flat. I'm thinking it might be the yeast. I normally use Edinburgh, but used British ale. Is there a way to recover?

8 week secondary. started the yeast.

After writing this I found a couple of threads for this problem. I'm going to try the swirl and raise the temperature. The taste is rich and smooth, I was even thinking of putting it in a keg and force carbonating. Great excuse to buy a kegging system.

I think you've figured it out with the warming it up and swirling. Dumping those bottles in a keg will likely introduce oxygen so I would just wait. On a big beer like that it can take a few months to carbonate.

Unless your OG was incredibly high, I think they'll carb, I have had good luck with keeping bottles just under 80 for a couple weeks.

OG was 1.083, FG 1.021. I've raised the temperature about 10 degrees, it was at 68 degrees. We'll see how it is in another week or so. If nothing else brewing has improved my patience.:mug:

I recently brewed a wee heavy scotch ale, second time with this recipe, primed with maple syrup which I've done several times with very good success but this time, not so much, actually it's flat. I'm thinking it might be the yeast. I normally use Edinburgh, but used British ale. Is there a way to recover?

8 week secondary. started the yeast.

After writing this I found a couple of threads for this problem. I'm going to try the swirl and raise the temperature. The taste is rich and smooth, I was even thinking of putting it in a keg and force carbonating. Great excuse to buy a kegging system.

What were your historic Final Gravities?

You could re-pitch with amore agressive yeasts (Edinburgh?) and see if you drop a few points.

Back