Extremely high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planker101

Reaction score
I decided to try mead and ended up with an OG off the scale. IF the calibration were to continue the same beyond the markings as it does during the markings my OG is around 1.2. I know this is way too high, even if my ec-1118 gets all the way to 18% my mead will still be grossly sweet.

My question is, can I let it ferment for 1-2 months before diluting it or do I need to dilute right away? After 12 hours fermentation had begun. Getting a steady stream of bubbles. My issue is that I am going to be brewing beer soon and need my carboys. If it won't destroy the flavor of the mead I would like to let it sit as is until my beer is done. If it matters I have temp control and am running at 70 F

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited:
You COULD let it ferment before diluting. I personally would not. Such a high OG, that could lead to some stressed out yeast and off flavours, or a stall at worst. As well as oxidation (though mead is a bit more resistant) when diluting near the end. That being said, if some obstacle prevented me from being able to dilute it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
You're probably ok if you keep the fermentation healthy, nutrient-ed, maybe buffer the acidity a touch. I'd go lower than 70 though, more like 62. 1118 has a wide range and warmth just adds fusels.

Thanks. Lower temp will actually be better for the beer anyways. I was running a little higher for this to try and make fermentation take off more.

I've read somewhere on a blog that for super-high gravity you need to really care for the yeast. HP Buffer, nutriens, energizer, start with well areated must, and daily degassing. According to the post, when it first stalls, it stalls for good.

Another technique is by step-feeding with honey. This doesn't stress the yeast as much.

I have never tried myself, so I cannot speak from experience. I do preffer my drinks slightly on the dry side, so most of what I make starts at 1.100.

What you have is the opportunity to play. Split it up and dilute into gallons, and then try some of the varieties you can make. Chai mead, apple pie, acerglyn, melomel, etc.

Back