extract wanting to move to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dflan83

Reaction score
Greetings fellow brewers,

I was wondering who here besides me made the jump from extract brewing to all grain. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about trying an all grain brew, but am fascinated at the same time that I can perfect my brewing process and try out some more customized recipes.

My question is what is a good brew to start out with? I personally love a good wheat style ale especially in the summer but nothing is out of question. I just want to try something that has a minimal amount of specialty grains// hops to ensure I keep learning in the process.

Additionally extract brewing seems more of a all in one package, where all grain is get the ingredients and make some beer. How do you know which grains to combine and hops to mix etc. I suppose this may come with practice

I am currently finishing up the mash tun and its coming along nicely. I look forward to your responses.

P.S. Anyone know of a good book for starting all grain brewing?

keep the beer flowing :mug:

I think the easiest all-grain beer to make is a german hefeweisen. Why? Simple grain bill (half 2-row, half wheat), quick fermentation, yeast choice (Wyeast 3068!) almost always delivers that unique hefe flavor, it isn't expected to be clear. Just be aware that wheat can be a sticky grain, so it's a good idea to throw some rice hulls into the mash tun to loosen up the mash and avoid a potential stuck sparge.

Good Books? In this order:
  • How To Brew by John Palmer - All around must-have for every brewer
  • Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels - Great discussion of styles and the flavor contribution of grains and hops
  • Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainescheff - best recipe book; all are winners, based on BJCP styles

Other great resources:
  • HBT of course
  • Brewing Network The Jamil Show Podcasts - As you venture into all-grain, look up the style in the list of Jamil Shows. Excellent discussions of the styles and ingredients and process

Hefe is a good choice as long as you take care not to get a stuck sparge like passedpawn noted.
Additionally extract brewing seems more of a all in one package, where all grain is get the ingredients and make some beer. How do you know which grains to combine and hops to mix etc. I suppose this may come with practice
I went with an All-grain kit from Midwest for my first attempt at AG. I figured if I got confused, at least it had some directions with it.

AG is not all that difficult if you have your basics down. If you can brew extract without getting too worked up, AG won't give you too much trouble. Make sure you have a good crush. It will make all the difference in hitting your numbers.

I think that when the first 2 posts in a thread are from moderators, it suggests something.
+1 to what they both said.
The HBT resource though is BY FAR more valuable than any of the others IMHO.

I read Palmer's book (cover to cover no less than twice and individuals chapters far too numerous to even remember)
But I can honestly say that what I have learned from asking questions and reading threads is BY FAR the reasons that I have made such great progress in my brewing. I made 2 extract batches and helped a friend with another before making the jump to AG.
I read the STicky mentioned above and am still subscribed to it just so that I can always check and see if anyone else has a question that I forgot or did not think of.

Enjoy!!

PROST!

In terms of recipe selection, I wouldn't let the hops/spice additions deter you from a recipe. The boiling part of the recipe execution is actually probably easier for all grain than in extract.

In extract batches, you need to juggle the hops addition, fining agents, spices (if used) AND the extract additions. In all grain, you just add the hops, fining agents and spices. So its really one LESS thing to worry about in terms of the recipe execution. This, of course, after the mash is completed.

The mash, I always tell first time brewers who brew with me, is basically like making a huge cup of tea. Heat water, mix with grains, let sit and monitor temperature for an hour or so, drain. It really is pretty simple.

I started with Orfy's 'Mild Mannered Ale' from this site. It has a simple grain bill, small grain bill (~6 lbs), one type of hops (fuggles), light ABV beer, quick to drink, and uses a cheaper common dry yeast (nottingham). It's actually small enough to mash on the stove BIAB using one pot (~2.5 gallons), and having your main brewpot pot for a single dunk/teabag sparge, then combining the runnings. Plus, when you're done you can reuse the yeast for a bunch of other beers since it's so versatile and neutral.

A great resource is beersmith an online recipe calculator like tastybrew. Google strike water calculator for quanties and temps of your water additions.

In all honesty just go with your favorite extract recipies and sub 2 row, pils, marris otter for your light malt extract. Half 2row and half wheat for your wheat based beers.

Simple grain bill is a good idea to start getting a feel for which grains impart which flavors. I'd actually stay away from hef's tho, high percentages of wheat malt can make your mash a challenge. Search "SMaSH" recipes. (Single Malt and Single Hop). These recipes are easy and can really help you get a feel for the different base malts out there...

Most Homebrew books have a good section on all grain, How to Brew is a great place to start. I like to read, brew, read and repeat. This way you're reading twice as much as you're brewing! These days it's more the other way around, but I still try and read between batches since there's always something new to learn. Have fun!!!

A great resource is beersmith an online recipe calculator like tastybrew. Google strike water calculator for quanties and temps of your water additions.

In all honesty just go with your favorite extract recipies and sub 2 row, pils, marris otter for your light malt extract. Half 2row and half wheat for your wheat based beers.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and the consensus came back Centennial Blonde for pretty much the same reasons as the hefeweisen. It's inexpensive and easy. They style tends to clear rather than the hazy of a hefe, but it's not a huge deal if a homebrew isn't brilliantly clear. I made it earlier this week and it went really well.

To reiterate what others have said...if you like hefes like I do, a hefe is a good choice. Ordering a kit from Midwest or Austin with good directions would also help. And don't forgot the rice hulls because stuck sparges suck.

I want to encourage you to go for it. Making the leap to all grain can be a bit intimidating, but you'll be surprised how easy it can be. And it's worth it.

Go for it

I made the switch to all grain earlier this year and to second what has already been said. 1) make a beer style you like, so don't be intimidated by wheat, if you like a hefe, go for it. Check out the recipe database here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

2) going all grain seems like a big leap before hand, but for me, it really wasn't any harder, just make sure you have a plan before you start. Know your mash temps and volume (1.25 qt/lb of grain works for me), sparge to your boil volume. Take it a step at a time.

Bobby_M's all grain primer was a good breakdown of the process for me http://www.suebob.com/brew/Bobby_Mallgrainprimer.pdf, also check out the All Grain section of the forum https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/ (particularly the stickies)

Don't think too much about efficiency at first, just get the process. And my favorite advice Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brew :) :mug:

Latest posts

Back