Extract to Grains Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanWoirol

Reaction score
I am making the White House Honey Ale. I made the small bath kit from NB, and I really liked it. I decided that one of my next 5 gallon batches would be that. It calls for 2 3.3lb cans of light LME and some other grains. I already have one can, and don't really feel like paying for another when I can buy some grains for much cheaper, plus it's like I'm putting my own little twist on it, and it makes it more personal. I am in a small apartment and can't do AG but can do a Partial Mash or BIAB.

What grains can I buy to substitute the one can of LME to add to the grain bill??

Here is the recipe for those that do not know it. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/image/wh_beer_recipe_both.pdf

It would be about 4.5 lb of 2-row if you get an average efficiency around 75%. If you're worried about that you could bump it up to 5 lb. Extract can have some carapils in it but I usually just sub base when converting to all grain, and you've got some crystal in the recipe already.

Back