Extract Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I saw the attached recipe in another thread on this forum. Thank you to forum member schweaty for posting the whole recipe. How would one convert this to an extract recipe? Is there a website that can do that? Thanks in advance.

Capture.JPG

That is a massive brew, you sure you up to it?
Looks like a $100 kit with 1lb of hops and multiple vials of yeast.
The simplest way to covert it is to multiply the number of pounds of malt by 0.75 to get the pounds of liquid extract.
Do this for the pale malt and vienna malt. Mini-mash the crystal and carapils.
Add the syrup toward the end of the boil with the fire off; you can put it in with the whirlfloc if you like. Mix well and finish the boil.
Make a large starter, good luck.

Haha, no, not yet anyway but this is something that I eventually want to do. It's supposedly very similar to a hopslam and I love that beer so this is something I want to build up to. Considering I've only done 1 brew so far, no, this is not going to be my 2nd, but I want to get to it.

It's not a very good recipe, IMO. Waste of good (and expensive) hops by adding them way too early in boil. This is mostly centered around bitterness, not flavor and aroma.

I'd look for some NEIPA recipes on here, instead, if you like extreme hop flavor with moderate bitterness. 8-12 oz of hops can get you a much better tasting beer than this, doing justice to the hops.

You're not going to get anything from the honey malt. I'd just write that off.

Here's what I'd do:

Fermentables:
11 lbs. Extra light DME
2 lbs. Munich DME
1 lb. Crystal 20 (milled)

1. Steep a pound of milled crystal 20 for 20 or 30 minutes at 160F in 1 gallon of water (treated however you plan to treat water, e.g., with a campden tablet).

2. Once you remove the grains, add as much water as you can bring to a boil. Add some, but not all, of the extra light DME and none of the munich. I'd add about 1.2 lbs. of DME per gallon of water that you use. You don't want the boil gravity to be crazy high, and malt extract can darken significantly.

3. Stick to the hop schedule that you listed.

4. Add the rest of the DME (extra light and munich) at the last 10 minutes of the boil. Whirfloc isn't really necessary since this is extract but use it if you've already got it and you feel like it.

That might come in a little low OG-wise, depending on how much extraction you get from steeping the crystal malt. You could add another few more ounces of extra light at then end. I probably wouldn't, though.

Edit: I assumed you wanted a 5.5 gallon batch. If you want a 5 gallon batch, use a pound less of extra light. I agree with the claim that the hop schedule is too bittering-heavy. I also didn't pay attention to the sugar at the end. Not sure what you should do about that. Probably wouldn't hurt in a big IPA like this.

There's also this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/HopsLambImperialIPA.pdf. Northern Brewer publishes their recipes online, and this is their extract clone of Hopslam. Other online stores may do the same.

my local HB supply store has this easy chart

don't listen to anyone tell you what you should want to brew. you want a Hopslam clone, brew it.

do the conversion to extract & go with the rest of the recipe as it is. the ONLY change I'd make is drop the caramel/crystal because extract already includes it

people see a recipe like this, suggest so many changes it ends up nothing like the original and when it turns out crap, "well that was a crappy recipe"

Latest posts

Back