Extract brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybrew66

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing, with only 2 batches under my belt. Both were extract kits, and both turned out very nicely.

My question is in regard to the 5 gallon extract kit instructions that state: bring 2.5 gallons of water to 160 degrees, then steep your grains in the bag.

Would it be ok to use a full 5 gallons of water to steep the grains? Or is the 2.5 gallons a specific volume based on amount of grains you are steeping?

I have an 8 gallon boil pot and I was thinking I could do the full 5 gallons, instead of adding another 2.5 gallons of tap water to bring it to 5 gallons.

I guess i'm just curious if this will cause any major fluctuations in OG or FG, taste, etc?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

I personally add only the 2.5 to 3 gallons for steeping grains then add the rest and bring to a boil. The pH would be too high to steep the grain in that much water.

Also I think full volume boil effects IBU's, not 100% sure of the top of my head, how much though.

It doesnt matter. And it definitely wont effect your gravity as any fermentables coming from the steep are negligible. I think a full boil is easier, just more difficult to chill for pitching.

*edit*
The amount of water doesnt change the PH of the water. They also have chemicals that you can use to adjust your water if youre concerned about tannins

I've always done a full boil. However, you are going to end up adding water anyway if you start with 5 gal due to the boil off. I've seen where some folks start with 6 gal.

Steep small, boil big.

You want around 2 quarts per pound of steeping grains. After the steep, feel free to step up to a full volume boil.

The amount of water doesnt change the PH of the water. They also have chemicals that you can use to adjust your water if youre concerned about tannins

This rings false, pure water should be have a pH of 7, it is often higher. Adding grain lowers it, and ideal pH I've seen is around 5.2-5.5

This rings false, pure water should be have a pH of 7, it is often higher. Adding grain lowers it, and ideal pH I've seen is around 5.2-5.5

Youre saying the grains have a bigger effect on 2.5 gallons of water than they do on 5 gallons. This is a very good thought. What is the "normal" effect of a typical grain amount on 2.5 versus 5 gallons?

In other words, is the effect of the grains halved by doubling the volume of water?
I guess the answer is, as long as you achieve the right pH, it doesnt matter.

yes I'm saying 1 lb of grain will lower the pH of 2.5 gallons of water likely twice as much as 1 lb of grain in 5 gallons of water (I havent done the experiment to prove it myself)
Also you'd want to start with even more water to accomodate boiloff.

Good information guys. I appreciate the feedback. I think on my next batch I will steep the grains in the recommended 2.5 gallons, add the extract, then add the final 2.5 gallons to the brew pot, and boil.

I am a total newbie, but I thought that the volume of water to the amount of grain was important for a very different reason other than pH. If the volume of water is in fact too large for the amount of grain you are steeping then you are creating too much space for the extracted enzymes and starches to find each other efficiently and you will end up with a relatively smaller amount of fermentable sugar than you would otherwise have. Too little water has a similar effect only this time the enzymes and starches are unable to move around as they need to in order to find each other - too cramped. My understanding (and it may be totally wrong) is that the optimal volume is about 1.25 qts water for every lb of grain.

That's true for mashing, but not so with steeping as the sugars are present. It's mostly just getting those sugars out as well as the color/flavors.

Add me to the "it doesn't matter" list. You're steeping, not mashing. I don't think the volumes you're discussing will make much difference.

Definitely doesn't matter. I used to steep in about a gallon of water in a small pot while bringing the rest of my water up to a boil in my kettle. The small volume of water heats quickly, and by simultaneously heating the rest of my water I felt like I was saving some time.

Good information guys. I appreciate the feedback. I think on my next batch I will steep the grains in the recommended 2.5 gallons, add the extract, then add the final 2.5 gallons to the brew pot, and boil.
Good plan, but you're actually going to want to add closer to 3.5 gallons to account for boiloff.

Back