Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Extract - Brass Castle Bad Kitty Vanilla Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhutchings

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Original Gravity
For the history, see this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=476646

Since I'm currently fermenting my third batch of it and everyone who's brewed it seems to like it, I figured I'd drop the recipe here. My latest revision of the recipe is as follows:

Steeping Grains:
.75 LB Crystal 10L
.55 LB Chocolate Malt
.35 LB Black Malt

Fermentables:
7 lbs Light DME

Hops:
2 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60m

Yeast:
S04

Bottling/Carbonation:
5 oz Pure Vanilla Extract in the bottling bucket
Carbonate to 2.0 Volumes of CO2

5.50 Gallon Batch Size
60 Minute Boil
SRM 30
IBU 36
OG-1.057
FG-1.014
ABV% 5.6
3 weeks fermenting

I and others have also brewed this with 6.6LBS of Maris Otter LME (plus 1 LB of Light DME) and that has turned out very well.

The beer tends to end up very smooth with equal amounts of cacao and vanilla flavours. Not in your face but more than what I'd consider subtle. Almost like chocolate cake in a glass.

I assume you purposely omitted the Munich dark malt that was present in the original recipe from the grain bill?

Yeah, I didn't want to get into a partial mash situation with it so in my second and third revisions I've left it out. This above recipe, I've just had my first sample bottle and it tastes and feels how I remember the original beer being.

Good to know just wanted to double check. Debating going with a partial mash but may just roll with yours. I'll play with the numbers and see

Also do u purchase the vanilla extract or make your own using vodka? Just curious what your method is

I just bought pure vanilla extract as I couldn't find a consistent amount of vodka soaked beans to use for a 5 gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back