extra beer, how long is it good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN2MT

Reaction score
Long story short, I have a gallon of beer left over that needs to be kegged or bottled and its sitting in a sealed carboy under the stairs. How long can I procrastinate?

Long story short, I have a gallon of beer left over that needs to be kegged or bottled and its sitting in a sealed carboy under the stairs. How long can I procrastinate?

how adventurous are you? sounds like a great excuse to get into wild/soured beers. or, if you're a little hesitant, blending.

So is the answer I am looking for a complicated one depending on the additional information I provide or is everyone is a punchy mood?

It's a porter extract kit that was aged in a spent whiskey barrel. It's been under the stairs for several weeks, again its 1 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy. Am I still okay to prime and bottle? I have 5 gallons in a corny that I will tap this weekend.

So is the answer I am looking for a complicated one depending on the additional information I provide or is everyone is a punchy mood?

It's a porter extract kit that was aged in a spent whiskey barrel. It's been under the stairs for several weeks, again its 1 gallon in a 5 gallon carboy. Am I still okay to prime and bottle? I have 5 gallons in a corny that I will tap this weekend.

if it looks and smells ok, go for it. the only thing i would be concerned with at this point is infection or oxidation from too much head space. infection will be obvious, but oxidation won't be. the only way to find out it to taste it, so why not bottle it and find out properly?

I don't know how long it's been since you brewed it. Depending on when it was brewed, I would also worry about sufficient yeast if you plan to prime and bottle. If it's been too long, you may have a hard time bottle conditioning without adding a bit more yeast. Other than that, what the last guy said.

Too soon to worry about a thing, chances are enough CO2 from fermentation is still blanketing the top of it to buffer oxidization, or enough little helpers were still around to make help.

Even if it tastes like crud when do package the goods do not toss it! I can not even count all the "spoiled beer" that was delicious six months later.

Back