Extended Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggs1980

Reaction score
So last weekend I moved a braggot to secondary, where i planned to add lime and blend with a flat ginger beer. When I finally worked out the ratio it was almost 50/50 braggot to ginger beer, and thus I ended up diluting my ABV which wasn't my intention. I rightly or wrongly thought this wouldn't matter because the sugar in the lime & ginger beer would act as a catalyst to get the yeast going again, so I'd have a second fermentation that would increase my ABV.

I left secondary alone for 24 hours and nothing had happened. I then wondered whether or not the "full fat" ginger beer that I'd used actually had any sugar in it at all, so decided to chuck in some dextrose, yeast nutrient, additional yeast and brought it up to around 90F. Within 24 hours my air lock was going off around 50 times per minute. 6 days later it is still going at around 50 times per minute. Has my fermentation just become a carbonation?

Has my fermentation just become a carbonation?
CO2 is always produced during fermentation AFIK. It's a byproduct of producing the alcohol that is the desired result. So unless you are trapping the pressure, it's not carbonating in the respect that you are increasing potential volume of CO2 that can be held/dissolved in the beer.

You are making more alcohol though if you are getting CO2. Whether you increase your ABV or not depends on water and sugar amounts you added. I'll let those that are whizzes with that stuff figure that out if there is enough info given.

I think I was just a little premature with my concern, as 24 hours later it's really slowed down

Back