Exploding bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasAggie

Reaction score
First time to make a starter and I guess it worked pretty well. Wyeast 1010 going strong after 8 hours. I put a blowoff tube on it now but I am guessing I will have to clean it up again when I get home from work. Hope this doesn't ruin the batch.

image-1641213776.jpg

I guess a good way to think about it is with all of that pushing OUT, it's pretty hard for any bacteria to push their way IN.

you'll be fine.. before i started using blowoff tubes, and even now i only use them on higher gravity beers, i would have my carboys blow out a bit, just as long as you fix it when you can you'll be good to go

You will have no problems, whatsoever, with what happened to your batch. Just be glad this didn't happen, LOL!

4661897622_1117a59115.jpg

Use some of this stuff....Five Star Defoamer 105, and you won't have any issues with it exploding, or at least a big mess of foam. Only use the amount specified though....no more.

It's just rambunctious and should be fine.
My first double batch of wheat did the same thing-all over a closet.
I usually use blow off tubes vs. bubblers and that seems to help.

Holy krausen! How did you do that?

Haha! Not my photo, lol! I saw this on another beer forum, and thought you'd like to see the worst case scenario. Obviously, the lid was down very tight, the airlock got plugged solid... and boom!

Latest posts

Back