Exploding bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezzajjj

Reaction score
Hi i'm wondering if anyone can help me...

I am experiencing a couple of bottles exploding (am getting quite hot temps in Aussie summer). I checked the SG reading before bottling and it was fine and i was very careful not over-carbonating etc. What could be the cause?

Also, if i am pickign up these bottles - are they more volatile during the hot days? Are they ok to move around if some of the bottles have exploded - not wanting it to happen when i'm moving them to the fridge!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers.
JM

jezzajjj said:

I am experiencing a couple of bottles exploding (am getting quite hot temps in Aussie summer). I checked the SG reading before bottling and it was fine and i was very careful not over-carbonating etc. What could be the cause?

Also, if i am pickign up these bottles - are they more volatile during the hot days? Are they ok to move around if some of the bottles have exploded - not wanting it to happen when i'm moving them to the fridge!

Cheers.
JM

the only thing I could possibly think of is that you're bottling too soon after fermenting. But if your SG is fine, then...hmm...what are the priming sugar measurements you're using for carbonating?

NUCC98 said:
the only thing I could possibly think of is that you're bottling too soon after fermenting. But if your SG is fine, then...hmm...what are the priming sugar measurements you're using for carbonating?

I'm using a plastic measurer that came with the beer kit. If anything, i would have been using less than the prescribed amount. The bottles are 330ml not 375 - would it be that?

jezzajjj said:
I'm using a plastic measurer that came with the beer kit. If anything, i would have been using less than the prescribed amount. The bottles are 330ml not 375 - would it be that?

Heheh....ml....we're still backwards I guess....I use 12oz bottles, for what that's worth. You could also try leaving more room at the top of the bottle when you fill them....

NUCC98 said:
Heheh....ml....we're still backwards I guess....I use 12oz bottles, for what that's worth. You could also try leaving more room at the top of the bottle when you fill them....

Thanks for that. Does anyoen have any idea abotu whether the beers would be more volatile during hot days? Are they safe to move around?

As far as safely moving the beer: colder is better due to less pressure at lower temperatures and colder liquids can absorb more of the CO2 pressure. Maybe put an air conditioner in the room for a few days. Also if the beer has not had any explosions for a week then you might be through the worst of it. Having said that-BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS-exploding beer is no laughing matter. Find a way to protect yourself like maybe a wood box with a hole cut in the bottom for a leather glove to fit through. That should protect you from a blast. This is only a suggestion to be used knowing there is still a level of risk. Good luck, and be careful.

One of the reasons I like PET bottles is if they do explode I don't have glass to contend with. When I bottle I put the bottles in a cooler with the top closed, if some explode it is contained and so is the mess.

wow....... I have had this happen a couple of times, I would imagine that is prob was overfilled or not fermented enough. I would try using a few tablespoons less of priming sugar, or fill the bottle less, also check the bottles, maybe they are not in great shape.

A few years back I left a bottle out on the table over night, it was in the winter here prob around 30-40F degress here. The heat came on and the bottle exploded, shards were stuck in the metal mini blinds about 4 feet away from it. I was just glad I was not sitting there...... but I have had some bottles in the past burst while aging.

You bottled too early or added too much priming sugar. It has nothing to do with the temperature, which would only make the conditioning go faster or slower.

Now that you have dangerously overcarbonated bottles, just like the Professor/homebrewer_99 said, colder is better, both to arrest any continued fermenting and to slightly reduce the pressure and make explosions less likely. But I want to say again, BE CAREFUL. You can get seriously hurt with exploding glass grenades.

Once when I had this happen, I carefully eased the cap off the bottles to alleviate the pressure. Then I recapped as necessary. You may be able to relieve enough pressure without removing the caps but BE CAREFUL.

The lesson for the future is to wait longer for the beer to finish in the fermentor...and then wait a bit longer...longer is always better and your beer will taste better. Alos, you may want to get a book and re-crunch the numbers on how much priming sugar to add.

One question, did you add priming sugar to the whole batch or to the bottles individually?

How hot is the beer .You are fermenting again in the bottle to get carbonation.At high temps each strain being different, yeast will start fermenting things that they would otherwise not.I ferment all my suds in a extra refridgerater,with a controller to hold the temp at 66 degress.I think if you can afford it,you would be pleased with the results.I keg,but if you bottle,the bottled beer should be fermented at the same temp as it was pre- bottled.

jezzajjj said:

Cheers.
JM

Yes, move them to the fridge right away.

The only time I ever experienced exploding bottles was when I made root beer. Glass all over the place.

I worried about those bottles exploding as I handled them as well as inside the fridge.

Here's what I did...if you have the room take a milk crate (one without the inside walls/bottle seperators) and line it with a sheet of plastic or nylon tarp to form a large cup. Leave enough plastic around the edge to cover the tops of the bottles also. You don't want glass flying up to the ceiling of the fridge either.

Should something blow up then it will (hopefully) stay contained in the crate versus inside the fridge. (MUCH easier clean up.)

Janx gave you some good info to wait until the fermentation is complete (his wait and then wait longer input).

But I find it strange/funny that with all his experience that he would recommend something like that but not recommend using a hydrometer.

If you used a hydrometer and took your OG and FG then you would know EXACTLY what the gravity was before you bottled.

I'm not flaming you Janx, just questioning your logic/hydrometer phobia.
With your experience I am certain that this process works well for you, but I worry about the new brewers lack of experience and apprehension when trying something new.

I know I read my "Joy Of Homebrewing" and other brewing books for a month before I had enough courage to start my first brew. And even then I called my son-in-law (the chemist) to come over and "hold my hand" (guiding me through the process step by step) the first time I brewed. Hell, within 3 months I was brewing lightyears ahead of him.

ChrisKoivu said:
I was curious about your situation, so I did some research. I came across this website, which has this device that should help in your situation. It seemed to be such a simple device, so I thought, hmm... The obvious answers are often the best ones. Check this link out and let me know if this helps :p

http://www.calendars.com/images/022/2248/200300030562_lpv.jpg

Good one! Mine is the 3 Stooges. I've used it so much the batteries are dead. If fact, I took the 3 batteries out just last night so I can find replacements.

Latest posts

Back