Explain to me the difference between Panela (Piloncillo) and Turbinado Sugar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
After doing some research online, I don't really see a difference in them. They are both very little/not refined at all and are evaporated can juice. Also, IMO, Piloncillo tastes nothing like brown sugar.

Thoughts?

They're very similar, the biggest difference is that with turbinado the grain are 'loose" while, Jaggery, Panela, and Piloncillo, tend to be tighly packed into molds and are much harder. I've also noticed that those others have a higher natural mineral content than turbinado, which seems to be a tad more processed for the american palate.

I've been playing with jaggery lately, as well as date palm mollases and syrups, and I have found that they have a very distinctive mineral taste to them, not sulphuric like mollasses, but you pick up minerals in the flavors. Also Jaggery has a buttery tastes, and even texture when you cut it off one of those bell shaped chuncks.

I will say that the "turbinadp" that I have come across in American stores like those boxes of sugar in the raw, they still are a bit bland compared to all those other sugars.

If you've even put it in coffee there is almost no difference between that and table sugar...maybe a little different taste, but still not all that distinctive, I've been using jaggery mollases as a sweatener in coffee recently, and it really has a "darker" more carmally flavor.

There's also a queso panela, which is a type of cheese. I use it frequently. I wasn't aware that panela was also another name for piloncillo.

Whole Foods sells a bulk turbinado sugar that is darker and a lot more flavorful than the "Sugar in the Raw" brand. I like piloncillo for many things, but I don't put it in coffee. I like my coffee black.

IMO, the flavor between piloncillo and "sugar in the raw" is worlds apart. Piloncillo is deliciously buttery (as revvy said) with a hint of caramel. I think it has the potential to be delicious in a malt forward beer.

Hi, anyone in this post interested in piloncillo (also call panela or papelón) just send me a private message, I'm in Venezuela and I can ship it to US using DHL or FedEx, here they have the best papelón in the world, if you're looking for good brown unrefined sugar, this is a most try.

Regards

Hi, anyone in this post interested in piloncillo (also call panela or papelón) just send me a private message, I'm in Venezuela and I can ship it to US using DHL or FedEx, here they have the best papelón in the world, if you're looking for good brown unrefined sugar, this is a most try.

Regards
I'm interested

I saw that after I replied lol. I'm actually using some panela right now with my coffee but for just one lbs is ridiculously priced

Unfortunately, none of those sugars are going to be cheap. You can expect ~$10-15/lb. You might have some luck if there's a Mexican or Indian grocery near you. If turbinado sugar will work for you, Sugar in the Raw is fairly cheap at most supermarkets.

Unfortunately, none of those sugars are going to be cheap. You can expect ~$10-15/lb. You might have some luck if there's a Mexican or Indian grocery near you. If turbinado sugar will work for you, Sugar in the Raw is fairly cheap at most supermarkets.
I'll have to find one of those grocery stores, thank you

I would like to add I disagree with the above statements about turbinado sugar tasting like table sugar. In my own experience, I get a fairly strong molasses smell and taste with it and it works well in my bitters.

^I agree^. I used to use 2 pounds of Turbinado in a 10 gallon hazy recipe and enjoyed the flavor contribution where CS or table sugar has none. The color however darkened the beer significantly...

Cheers!

I use turbinado in homemade root beer, gives it a touch of caramelly goodness. Even the Sugar in the Raw from the grocery store adds more dimension than ordinary brown sugar (which is really refined, white sugar with some molasses added back).

Someone upthread mentioned bulk turbinado from Whole Foods, that it's better than SitR. I'll have to check that out some time.

I think Jaggery is palm sugar. I buy palm sugar that is pretty dark in the bulk foods section of Winco grocery stores. I think it would be similar to the Mexican panela raw sugar, but not quite as strong flavored.

There is a palm sugar from Indonesia called Gula Jawa, or Gula Merah. It is very dark and flavorful. Someday I want to try it in a brown ale or porter. You would have to look in a pretty well stocked grocery store to find that. I get it at a Ranch 99 grocery store. It definitely ads its unique flavor to anything you add in to.

Back