Experimental South African hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filthyastronaut

Reaction score
Recently, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a couple oz. of a few fairly rare South African hop varieties. Unless I do tiny batches, this isn't enough for a SMaSH. So naturally, I plan to make an IPA with all four of the following used in equal proportions in each addition.

From ZA Hops

"EXPERIMENTAL VARIETIES
Very limited information is available on these experimental varieties at this point.

N1/69
The aroma profile of N1/69 is Kool-Aid, Juicy Fruit, oranges, plums, dank, and pungent. Alpha acids are 13.4 percent and cohumulone is 23 percent in 2016.

U1/108
The aroma profile of U1/108 is litchie, mango, guava, citrus, lemongrass, stone fruit, and coconut. Alpha acids are 17.9 percent and cohumulone is 26 percent in 2016.

U3/132
The aroma profile of U1/132 is guava, tangerine peel, plum, melon, fruity. Alpha acids are 17.8 percent and cohumulone is 27 percent in 2016.

XJA2/436
The aroma profile of XJA2/436 is bergamot, lemon, blueberries, sweet fruit, gooseberries, resin, tobacco, grassy. Alpha acids are 12.9 percent in 2016."

Anybody want to suggest a grain bill and a yeast for these?

Wow. I have no help for you.
The U1/108 and U3/132 sounds fantastic. I think you'll have a great beer.

I just want to say I recently had a beer primarily brewed with N1/69 hops and it was excellent. Really makes me wish I could find some to brew with.

Hoof Hearted in Ohio did a brew with undisclosed variants of South African hops named I'll Have What She's Having. The results were excellent.

To update, the samples were actually 1.5 oz., not 2 oz., so I supplemented by adding in 2 oz. of El Dorado and I blended them all together. Each hop addition should be a somewhat equal distribution of each hop. They all smelled amazing, especially U3/132. U1/108 was pretty tropical, N1/69 definitely had a dankness and XJA2/436 was pretty earthy. Blended together with El Dorado, it's pure heaven. Will bottle on Monday.

Back