Experimental hop recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdass

Reaction score
Hi

I've been given 100grams of I'm told an experimental hop, all i know the pellets are:

Acid 12.9% /EBC 7.5

Total oils 1.25ml/100g

As you can imagine i am delighted to have been chosen to trail this hop..

As i do not know what characteristics of the hop is bitter/etc etc i was thinking of doing an single hop IPA.

Anyone help me with a simple single hop IPA recipe please.

Thank you
Steve

I'm still a novice at recipe formulation, but you could do something like 90% 2-row, 5% carapils, 5% crystal 15 or 20. Mash at 152. Hop additions at 60 min (1oz), 15 min (1oz), and the rest (~1.5oz if my conversions are correct) at flame out. 100 grams isn't all that much (~3.5oz), so probably not enough to dry hop. Yeast should be simple ale yeast, safale us-05 or equivalent. This light malt bill and simple hopping schedule should really give you an idea on the hop characteristics.
Cheers

3.5 ozs is not going to make much of an IPA in 5 gallons.

3.5 ozs in 2 to 2.5 gallons (US gallons that is), would make a decent IPA.

Keep Crystal low, use about 5 to 10% plain sugar, clean yeast. Design for IBUs to be similar or higher than OG (that is, if OG = 1.075, make IBUs 75 or greater).

Make a pale ale. Use a clean bittering hop to get around 30 IBU, then use the experimental hops at the end of the boil. Maybe 1 oz at 5 mins, 1 oz at flameout, and 1.5 oz dry hop. Keep it simple on the grain bill.

Back