Experimental Brewing Podcast Episode 103 - Over 60 and the Next Pint Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-103-over-60-and-next-pint-project

On this episode we delve a bit into history as Denny talks about the results of our "Beer & Brewing Over 60" survey. Then we're flying into the future as we listen to OSU's Sarah Windes talk about the project to develop and select a new malt hybrid for both Mecca Grade and the public. Pollen flies on this episode along with all of our usual beery goodness!

Interesting episode. I have to say I have mixed feelings about new barley varieties and in general the growth of craft maltsters. I am up for better tasting products, but already the number of grains available is a bit overwhelming. My local shop has a good 50 grains available and MoreBeer lists 131 grains across 16 different maltsters.

Also, one aspect that I like about homebrewing is that (for the most part) I have access to the exact same ingredients as the biggest and best breweries out there. This is not the case for wine, where the grapes are a driving factor. I worry if malt becomes limited to homebrewers or not available in various regions.

There are some very good Master Brewers Association podcasts with Joseph Hertrich. He says that as a brewer, he could not detect differences between different American Barley varieties, but that he could detect differences between different malsters version of the same variety. Your experience seems to say that variety does matter...though there are a lot of factors that could influence different batches of beer other than just the variety of barley.

I have wondered for a long time if Maris Otter is really that much different than American varieties, or if the real difference is in the malsters producing Maris Otter malt. I have it on my todo list to try some Single Malt batches with Briess Pale Ale malt on the list. I am curious about Full Pint now as well.

Latest posts

Back