Experiment with my Witbier Recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been a while since I have posted. I've been attempting to complete my bachelors degree, and have simply been unable to brew due to the workload this past semester. Regardless, my question(s) is relatively simple (I suppose.) I normally do my research as thoroughly as possible, but with the Xmas and New Year holidays I simply can't satisfy my pedantic nature.

So...

I have a witbier recipe, it is successful and has gained the consent of many of my friends and relatives (not that they are cicerones or anything.) Here is the recipe:

Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 15.62 gal
Post Boil Volume: 13.52 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 11.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.6 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 15.7 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 50.6 %
9 lbs 11.7 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 44.9 %
15.7 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
51.31 g Saaz [5.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 19.9 IBUs
3.00 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 5 -
1.80 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
2.0 pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) [35 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 21 lbs 11.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 29.03 qt of water at 164.1 F 149.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 5.50gal, 5.50gal) of 168.0 F water

The flavor of this beer is great, but extended periods in the keg make it drop clear. I recently learned that storing the keg upside down can help. Also, I recently listened to a Jamil Show episode where he and Tasty mentioned using 6-row and unmalted wheat to keep the hazy nature of the style.

I have never had flavor or color issues (BJCP and cicerones aside). I use WLP 400, so the distinct Belgian Wit flavor is definitely accentuated with the yeast, but a month or two in the keg and . . .clear!

I also understand two counter arguments to the previous statement--don't let it sit for so long, and shake the keg. I have a feeling that this is unnecessary with proper brewing techniques.

Finally, the question right (I hope you read this far)...?

What amount of unmalted what and six-row would you recommend replacing the Pilsner and flaked Wheat ?

I am an all-gain brewer, usually single infusion mashes, but I am not uncomfortable with infusion step mashing... (15g kettle, 52qt coleman xtreme mash tun, pump-in-a-box, bayou classic sp-10 burner, open recirc [I use the pump and camlocks-I get a decent recirc and trub cone], 50' copper immersion chiller) . . .

Thoughts on GB and accompanying process please...

Thanks,

The Schnitz

Back