Expanding batch size from extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeouk

Reaction score
Hey guys - first time poster here with a question...

I've recently produced an APA and a Saison, both with pleasing results, from an extract kit.

The barrel used for these kits was the standard size for 5 gallon batches and it lasted for one brew before basically falling apart.

I've now bought two really awesome new oak barrels and want to use these in place of the plastic barrel.

The only problem is that the barrels are 30L rather than the standard 20L versions supplied with kits.

What is the easiest way to increase the batch size from 20L to 30L? Do I need to buy a half quantity of all the kit ingredients or is there a cheaper, more effective way?

I've read that natural carbonation techniques sometimes leave 10cm free at the top of the barrel - this equates to about 7.5L based on the average radius.

Alternatively, is it feasible to store 20L in a 30L barrel or will I expose the batch to too much air and cause infection etc...

Cheers.

A large head space shouldn't cause a contamination issue, but bacteria trapped in the wood might. Wine barrels are often retired and sold relatively inexpensively once they start to show signs of contamination.

Large headspace can cause oxidation. Are you planning on aging these for an extended period? Also, are you planning on fermenting in these?

One thing you can do is brew two batches and top up the rest and save the unfermented wort to keep topping up. Over time you'll get some evaporation, or "angel's share" and it's a good idea to have extra to replace with, anyways.

How are you treating the barrels? Potassium metabisulphite and citric acid, I presume? Be sure you fill them with water to get the staves to swell so you won't have leaks.

I assume the hole in barrel you have is large enough for 0.33/0.5 l glass bottle to pass through.

Seal empty glass bottles (as many as you need for extra volume off) with wine corks.

Lets assume you have 20 l of beer and 30 l barrel.
Then take for example 18-20 x 0.5 l.

Wash and sanitize em well.
Pour beer into barrel.
Put empty bottles into the beer 1 by 1 as many as you feel needed.
You'll have a chance almost do not have a headspace at all! ;)

If you don't mind to go plastic you can also use any of food grade PET stuff you have on hands, properly sealed and cleaned/sanitized instead of glass. But I did not try that, while obviously easier I don't believe in PET.

I never use crown caps for such bottles because of paint and possible corrosion.

Cheers! :mug:

The barrels have been newly made and toasted on the inside. We've yet to decide on a treatment so I'll look into your recommendation cyanmonkey :mug:

Woodland - are you saying that, provided there isn't any contamination in the barrel, I can happily make up a 20l batch and use a 30l barrel for storing?

Just to be clear - we will be doing primary fermentation in a 30l vessel before transferring to the barrel for secondary fermentation.

The hole in the barrel certainly isn't big enough to put any bottles etc inside.

Cheers guys.

Back