Doppelbock Evil Goat of Ainpoekish (5C Doppelbock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 7/7/14 I made a beer along with this as guide.

Differences:
I used WLP 833 (by far my favorite lager yeast)
Used Moravian Munich
Pale chocolate malt sub
Turned it into 5 gallon 1.104 OG :)

Accidentally didn't hit my target mash temp (ended up with light body single infusion no mash out) 149 for 75mins.
I was aiming for 154 for 60 mins, but oh well. Whatever.

I plan on turning this into an Eisbock, all of it. Probably bring it down to 3 gallons.

I am giving it to my groomsmen in Jan, so that leaves me with enough time to properly mellow it.

I'll certainly post pictures/review. So far it has been a very strong ferment. A lot of material (maybe a liter) coming out of the blow off tube. I ferment in an old corny.

I made a heller bock (OG 64) 4 days prior in order to have a good cake to pitch into. I transferred the beer into secondary while the wort chiller was cooling the wort.

I did use a whirlfloc tablet during the last 15 mins.

I did a 2 min O2 with a diffusion stone in order to aerate he yeast.

Sorry for throwing random facts out there in no particular chronological order.

Taking a swing at this style in a few weeks! Can't fit 24 lb of malt with the requisite mash water for decoctions in my 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT, so my targets have been adjusted slightly from the base recipe:

Target OG: 1.088
Target FG: 1.025
Target IBU: 20-30
Efficiency: 75%
Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Malt
13 lb Munich I
3.25 lb Pilsner
14 oz CaraMunich
6 oz Chocolate malt

Hops
2.0 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 90 min FWH (3.5% AAU)
0.5 oz Northern Brewer - 0 min FLAMEOUT (9.7% AAU)

Mash Schedule
145F - 156F - 168F
Dough in 1.75 qt/lb at 145F. Rest 30 minutes. Draw thick 7.5 qt decoction, raise to 156F for 15 minutes, bring to boil and return to mash. Rest 30 minutes. Draw thin 9.5 qt decoction, bring to boil for 15 minutes and return to mash.

Fly sparge with 3.5 gal water at 185F. Boil per the above schedule. Ferment with Bavarian lager yeast between 46-48F for 2 weeks, then lager near freezing for 10 more weeks.

Taking a swing at this style in a few weeks! Can't fit 24 lb of malt with the requisite mash water for decoctions in my 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT, so my targets have been adjusted slightly from the base recipe:

Target OG: 1.088

Target FG: 1.025

Target IBU: 20-30

Efficiency: 75%

Batch Size: 5.5 gal

Boil Time: 90 min

Malt

13 lb Munich I

3.25 lb Pilsner

14 oz CaraMunich

6 oz Chocolate malt

Hops

2.0 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 90 min FWH (3.5% AAU)

0.5 oz Northern Brewer - 0 min FLAMEOUT (9.7% AAU)

Mash Schedule

145F - 156F - 168F

Dough in 1.75 qt/lb at 145F. Rest 30 minutes. Draw thick 7.5 qt decoction, raise to 156F for 15 minutes, bring to boil and return to mash. Rest 30 minutes. Draw thin 9.5 qt decoction, bring to boil for 15 minutes and return to mash.

Fly sparge with 3.5 gal water at 185F. Boil per the above schedule. Ferment with Bavarian lager yeast between 46-48F for 2 weeks, then lager near freezing for 10 more weeks.

Incredible beer. The maltiness is only comparable to a wee heavy I made, and somehow, better. The body, mouthfeel and finish are superb. WY-34/70 took this beer from 1.083 to 1.023 within 2 weeks, without any trace of overwhelming esters or diabolical fruity notes. Extremely clean finish.

My only complaint is that I failed to filter the trub, fine the finished beer or transfer to secondary...the combination of which has resulted in some cloudy and messy lager. Which is, to say, my fault entirely.

Excellent recipe, amazing beer.

Just bottled batch 1 of 2 (2nd batch will become the Eis version) and this stuff is awesome. I did a double decoction and I'm convinced that has a lot to do with why this brew is smooth as hell. Ended up with 60 1/2 bottles so I'm drinking the 1/2 bottle now. I love this stuff. Thanks for sharing!

I have 2 kegs laagering right now. I did 2 different yeasts, we will see how they turn out. one was definitely better than the other coming out of Primary into the kegs, but havnet tasted them since. They have only been laagering for about 8 days so far.

I also intend to try my hand at ice distilling one of them, which will be my first time...

I don't expect them to be ready to take to serve at NHC though...

Planning on making this in January and pitching it onto a yeast cake from a Munich Hallertau SMaSh lager, really looking forward to this beer. Cheers!

Brewed this yesterday. Modified the recipe to add melanoidin malt and do a single infusion mash with no sparge. I also replaced the chocolate with carafa II.

OG was 1.088.

Fermenting at 50F for 10 days before I start ramping the temp. Hopefully turns into a good beer!

Brewed this yesterday. Modified the recipe to add melanoidin malt and do a single infusion mash with no sparge. I also replaced the chocolate with carafa II.

OG was 1.088.

Fermenting at 50F for 10 days before I start ramping the temp. Hopefully turns into a good beer!

How much melanoidin malt did you add and what temp did you mash at?
I have a pilsner that I used 34/70 with that is almost ready to rack to a keg so I have a nice big "starter" ready for a big lager and this one sounds great.

How much melanoidin malt did you add and what temp did you mash at?
I have a pilsner that I used 34/70 with that is almost ready to rack to a keg so I have a nice big "starter" ready for a big lager and this one sounds great.

Here's my exact recipe, its a very slight modification of the original, and adjusted for my system with a single infusion BIAB mash at 152F.

I can't tell you how good this turned out. I'm entering it into the Suwanee Beer Festival competition next month and I'm very excited about it.

Doppelbock .jpg

Just had a taste of this as I racked it into the secondaries. Really really good! I am really looking forward to Christmas

I made this a few months ago and just got it kegged last week. The samples have been great. I tweaked the recipe a bit. I made it a 6 gal batch, dropped the munich malt to 18 pounds and added half pound of melanolden malt. Mashed at 152 og 1.093 fg 1.018. Can't wait to realy get into this one.

Back