Ever had sanitizer go into your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davevjordon

Reaction score
I wasn’t thinking when I put my carboy in the kegerator with a blowoff tube, into sanitizer.
I opened the kegerator to pull the carboy out, and probably 1/2 gallon of sanitizer went into my beer! SMH.
The sanitizer stayed on top of the beer. So I decided I wasn’t going to dump all 5 gallons, I should be able to siphon everything below it.
Force-carbed, taste tested, and this beer is awesome!
View attachment IMG_2031.jpg
View attachment 1

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 49
No worries, as long as your sanitizer wasn't chlorine or iodine based.

Brew on :mug:

I did that once.

Once.

The beer developed a weird vegetable-y flavor after a few weeks in the keg. Had to dump half of it because it became undrinkable. Which was too bad, because it was really great before it started to turn...

Nice save! I'll have to consider this when switching to a blow off system versus the S airlocks I currently use.

Nice save! I'll have to consider this when switching to a blow off system versus the S airlocks I currently use.

Yeah, once it already happened, I stood there figuring it out:
About 3/4 gallon of sanitizer compared to 5 gallons of beer. Big difference in volume. That small quantity gets colder, faster, in the kegerator. When liquid gets colder, it expands. So the temperature difference between the sanitizer and the beer caused the sanitizer to go up the blowoff tube, into (onto) the beer. The beer was warmer, longer, inside the kegerator. Probably creating a vacuum inside the fermenter.

Back