Eureka!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I think that I've finally done it. I've been trying to brew a Wit that matches the color of one of my favorite beers, Hoegaarden. I had some friends over to brew this past weekend, and one of them brought me a 6'er of Hoegaarden so I thought I'd put them to the test. Only one of them picked correctly, and he admitted that the only reason that he got it right was because he blindly guessed. :rockin:

Can you tell which one is Hoegaarden and which one is mine? (My POS camera is making both brews appear darker than they actually are, but those of you that have had Hoegaarden know what it looks like.)

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

I'd guess the one on the right, only because it appears a bit hazy on my screen.

Edit: If I win, you have to send the rest to me :D

The one on the right is yours---- my guess.

I commend you for having the patience to brew 3 (4?) attempts just to get the color right. Your first attempt kicked plenty of ass (better than Hoegaarden, IMHO)

Either way, I bet it's not as good as that "kicked up" version you made. That stuff makes me drool...and not just because of the 9%+ :D

I vote the Ho on the left...

(oops. I just got fired. :drunk: )

(The left is the commercial, the right is yours)

Ize

It's great to have a few responses already, but some of you guys aren't saying which one you think is the Hoegaarden and which one is mine. Saying 'I think it's the one on the right' doesn't count... *which* one do you think is on the right?

Evan! said:
I commend you for having the patience to brew 3 (4?) attempts just to get the color right. Your first attempt kicked plenty of ass (better than Hoegaarden, IMHO)

Either way, I bet it's not as good as that "kicked up" version you made. That stuff makes me drool...and not just because of the 9%+ :D

Evan, if you liked my 'Jingle Hell', I think you may like my 'Blue *****' even more. :rockin:

And yes, it was 4 attempts at the Hoegaarden color. I figure what the hell, the worst thing that happens is that everytime I try I have 2 cases of Hoegaarden. I can think of worse things.

I'll post results sometime tomorrow after a few more people have replied.

I think the one on the right is the commercial Hoegaarden. It could just be the lighting but the one on the left looks more vibrant in color than the real deal.

NICE job, though! Bet it tastes better than it looks!

Hoegaarden on the right... Hoegaarden's head didn't last long but it did have that fluffy type head and lacing...

EDIT: I speak in past tense because i had some not too long ago... lol

i had a big bottle of hoegaarden last night and it was delicious, good job on matching the colour although you're right your camera must be showing them up darker than they really are. i say the pint on the right is the commercial brew.

ohiobrewtus said:
Evan, if you liked my 'Jingle Hell', I think you may like my 'Blue *****' even more. :rockin:

And yes, it was 4 attempts at the Hoegaarden color. I figure what the hell, the worst thing that happens is that everytime I try I have 2 cases of Hoegaarden. I can think of worse things.

Actually...the lemon zest in the BB didn't do a whole lot for me. I've used citrus in beer before---lime basil and lemon verbena---and while it's always an interesting experiment, I can't say I'd do it again. I honestly thought your Jingle Hell was the best one of the batch.

It looks like only a few people got it. Hoegaarden is on the right, mine is on the left.

I wish I could have taken a better pic of it though. It's sooooooooo much lighter than it appears in the pics. :rockin:

My first guess was that your's was on the right! Great job. I love a Ho on a nice, hot day! Now, where's the recipe!:D

Even though I was wrong, I give you props on making such a great looking beer.

Back