Equivalent bitterness of yarrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
When you make gruit, is there some rough equivalent for bitterness between yarrow and hops, perhaps some measure of IBU for yarrow?

Bump. Any ideas on the equivalent bitterness of yarrow to hops, or how it could be compared?

I've brewed with yarrow twice now (gruit ales) and both times the bitterness was quite mellow, more of an herbal astringency than the firm bitterness you get from using hops. The flavor of the yarrow, however, was not to my liking.... think herbal shampoo and 'bus full of hippies.'

Both batches were 2 gallon, 0.5 oz of fresh yarrow at boil and flameout, while the last batch included rosemary. Better, but not by much. Good luck.

So I guess there is no real equivalent. I used more yarrow than you did - about 1 oz of fresh flowers per gallon. I made and tasted several teas before using it in the wort. The flowers give a more neutral bitterness. The leaved definitely give a stronger leafy, herbal edge. The stems and roots were nothing special - not very bitter.

I am drying the leaves and saving them in the first aid kit for boo-boos. Yarrow is a decent clotting agent.

In the spirit of substituting hops and discussing bitterness - if yarrow proves to be; somewhat to mellow and a little too 'peace loving' in the flavor dept, what is a good bittering agent for gruit beers?

Back