Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's how I understand it.

I haven't bought a jersey in years, but I told myself a couple months ago that if Bozak signs back with the Leafs for next season, I'll be getting his jersey.

Looks like I'm buying a jersey. Woot!

Not 100% sure about the Clarkson deal, but we'll see.

Looks like I'm buying a jersey. Woot!

Not 100% sure about the Clarkson deal, but we'll see.

Not my money being paid to him, so I don't care. Glad to have a tough guy who puts pucks on the net on the team. Tough to go wrong with a local boy, too.

Do I think the team is better today with Clarkson, Bolland, and Bernier than Grabo, Scrivens, and MacArthur? Yes I do, a little bit - and that's the name of the game.

My son's name is Clark so it's only fitting that he gets a new Clarkson jersey!

Hell of a lot of money for someone who's never started more than 45 games in a season. But if he comes through, in 4 years it'll look like a bargain!

NJ sucks so bad now you can't even pay a guy $102 Million to play there. Shiza!

Team is for sale still, right? This makes the purchase easier to swallow I imagine.

So last year jkratzer hooked me up with the intel for a Philly trip. He's a solid guy despite his nonsensical ramblings as to why the Flyers aren't total garbage. This year we've decided to take our obnoxious Leafs fandom to COLUMBUS to see the lowly Blue Jackets get pummeled by a storied team draped in long-standing tradition (of failure).

Here's what I need to know, if any of the 18 Columbus fans in existence happen to read this (or maybe someone else has been?):

1. Where to stay. I'm trying to priceline a hotel, I'm assuming I want "downtown" where the rink is. We will be staying for a couple nights so we are more concerned that our room is near the action, rather than near the arena if there's a difference. If CLB has a solid transit system then I'm sure it's easy to get around.

2. Where to buy tickets. I'm guessing scalpers sell for less than face value, considering season tickets are about $3 each, right? In Phoenix we got 2 $80 tickets for $50, total. Zero haggling, it was awesome.

3. Where to go before the game. What's a good pub nearby? Are there just a bunch all over the general vicinity?

4. Where to go and spend a full day and evening on Saturday. Nothing else to do but check out the city and go for a decent dinner. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time, and GO LEAFS GO!!!

So last year jkratzer hooked me up with the intel for a Philly trip. He's a solid guy despite his nonsensical ramblings as to why the Flyers aren't total garbage. This year we've decided to take our obnoxious Leafs fandom to COLUMBUS to see the lowly Blue Jackets get pummeled by a storied team draped in long-standing tradition (of failure).

Here's what I need to know, if any of the 18 Columbus fans in existence happen to read this (or maybe someone else has been?):

1. Where to stay. I'm trying to priceline a hotel, I'm assuming I want "downtown" where the rink is. We will be staying for a couple nights so we are more concerned that our room is near the action, rather than near the arena if there's a difference. If CLB has a solid transit system then I'm sure it's easy to get around.

2. Where to buy tickets. I'm guessing scalpers sell for less than face value, considering season tickets are about $3 each, right? In Phoenix we got 2 $80 tickets for $50, total. Zero haggling, it was awesome.

3. Where to go before the game. What's a good pub nearby? Are there just a bunch all over the general vicinity?

4. Where to go and spend a full day and evening on Saturday. Nothing else to do but check out the city and go for a decent dinner. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time, and GO LEAFS GO!!!

Bahahahahaha. I'm sure there are some good pubs around. hockey fans need to have some place to watch real hockey games, the arena certainly isn't the place for that.

MeatyPortion said:
I can't imagine there wouldn't be a lot of places to drink in Columbus. I mean, what the hell else is there to do there?

I have I no clue. Maybe just wander around in obscurity with Nathan Horton?

Gonna be a good season here in oil country. have the flames or leafs been officially eliminated from the playoffs yet?

Incredibly disappointed I cannot go to any Wings games during brew school (used to have money but no time, now I have some time but no money). I nearly pissed myself when I saw the Winter Classic is Wings vs Leafs, maybe someone will love me enough to send me to the game. Currently living in Ontario but I could definitely spend a night in Detroit after visiting my family in MI for Christmas. I mean, Detroit is sort of on the way (Port Huron/Sarnia is a shorter route but I'd totally detour for a hockey game).

Incredibly disappointed I cannot go to any Wings games during brew school (used to have money but no time, now I have some time but no money). I nearly pissed myself when I saw the Winter Classic is Wings vs Leafs, maybe someone will love me enough to send me to the game. Currently living in Ontario but I could definitely spend a night in Detroit after visiting my family in MI for Christmas. I mean, Detroit is sort of on the way (Port Huron/Sarnia is a shorter route but I'd totally detour for a hockey game).

Wife and I really wanted to go, but the sales guy with the Griffins explained how you have to buy a season ticket package from either the Wings or the Griffins in order to qualify to buy tickets to this game. Apparently with 100,000+ seats, there will be a shortage...

Wife and I really wanted to go, but the sales guy with the Griffins explained how you have to buy a season ticket package from either the Wings or the Griffins in order to qualify to buy tickets to this game. Apparently with 100,000+ seats, there will be a shortage...

Prepare to be astonished at the spectacle of just how many Leafs fans are willing to fork out hundreds of dollars for a chance to sit in the cold and watch some tiny blue and red dots skate around for 2 hours.

This is going to be a gong show, and it's going to be awesome.

Columbus trip cancelled, because **** Columbus. Going to Buffalo instead - America's Armpit! Any of you silly Sabres season ticket holders want to dump 4 tickets on me for Nov 15, let me know.

Scored some Leafs-Canadiens tickets yesterday on the cheap. Woot! Also looks like I'll be going to a lot more games this season against teams nobody cares about.

Well, Daniel Cleary couldn't make a deal with the Wings so he was headed off to Philly.

Then he actually THOUGHT about what he was doing and it scared him so much, he went back to Holland and begged him to take him back!

Well, Daniel Cleary couldn't make a deal with the Wings so he was headed off to Philly.

Then he actually THOUGHT about what he was doing and it scared him so much, he went back to Holland and begged him to take him back!

Damn - I really wanted to see that deal with a NTC. Holmgren is the 2nd worst GM in the League.

Whose worse? Kevin lowe and Steve tambellni were fired, and its too early to pass judgement on MacT

You're close (geographically), but Edmonton is not the answer.

Here is a subtle hint:
bigcountry_ice_crew.jpg

If you want to talk about the Oilers, I actually think MacT is doing a pretty good job so far. Didn't see that one coming - always thought he was an idiot when he was on TSN or Sportsnet panels or whatever.

I didnt even think of Feaster, the O'Reilly offer sheet and Iginla deal were bad. I thought it might have been Glen Sather, the rangers have been a disaster and he gets too much credit for putting together the Oilers teams

I didnt even think of Feaster, the O'Reilly offer sheet and Iginla deal were bad. I thought it might have been Glen Sather, the rangers have been a disaster and he gets too much credit for putting together the Oilers teams

The Rags have been a disaster? They have been Stanley Cup contenders for years.

Yes they have, but how many players past their prime were signed for long term big $$, only to do nothing or get buried in the minors. Bure, Lindros, Redden, etc. Brad richards and Rick Nash arent performing like usual either. Where would the team be without Lundqvist?

Yes they have, but how many players past their prime were signed for long term big $$, only to do nothing or get buried in the minors. Bure, Lindros, Redden, etc. Brad richards and Rick Nash arent performing like usual either. Where would the team be without Lundqvist?

I don't care. THe point is they are legitimate threats to win the Stanley Cup every year. No team is 100% devoid of mistakes. Can't fault a guy for spending money to sign the top UFAs every summer.

Rick Nash was brought in for a measly return. Awesome trade.
Bure/Lindros/Redden - that was like 10 years ago man. You forgot Holik.

Where would the team be without Lundqvist? What kind of a question is that? So Sather is a terrible GM because he managed to get one of the best goalies in the world? And kept him? Seems legit.

Where would the team be without Lundqvist? What kind of a question is that? So Sather is a terrible GM because he managed to get one of the best goalies in the world? And kept him? Seems legit.

Oddly I agree with all your points Paul. Furthermore, where would any team be without their star net minders?

Sather handed out tons of bad contract before the salary cap forced him to put more effort into development instead of just trying to outspend everyone. And the answer to where they would be without Lundqvist? Not a cup contender or even a playoff team some years. And if im not mistaken we will see if he is able to keep him, I am pretty sure his is a ufa at the end of the season and has said he is undecided. Richards and Nash's contracts are not gonna help with the cap space since they still have some rfa's without contracts right now

Sather handed out tons of bad contract before the salary cap forced him to put more effort into development instead of just trying to outspend everyone. And the answer to where they would be without Lundqvist? Not a cup contender or even a playoff team some years. And if im not mistaken we will see if he is able to keep him, I am pretty sure his is a ufa at the end of the season and has said he is undecided. Richards and Nash's contracts are not gonna help with the cap space since they still have some rfa's without contracts right now

Dude, EVERY team is in a bind with cap space (well the good ones, anyway).

You are saying that he's a bad GM because he spent some rich owners' money back when a salary cap didn't matter. WHO CARES.

Since the lockout they've missed the playoffs once. One time. Slats has been there for 13 years now - you don't keep a crappy GM around for THIRTEEN YEARS. Hell, Burke pulled the Leafs out of ridiculous ineptitude in 4, and he still got fired.

Sather isn't even in the bad GM category - and you bring his name up as one of the worst in the league? That's crazy talk sir!

Im saying hes a bad gm because overall the teams he put together underachieve. And if you look at how he spent before the lockout and the results there are alot of similarities with john ferguson jr, and if he would have lucked out and got a hof player in the late rounds( like lundqvist) would that have made him a good gm?

I don't get it. If the only measure of a good GM is winning the cup, then you live in a world where there are 29 ****ty GMs every year. Anyway have fun with that.

I don't get it. If the only measure of a good GM is winning the cup, then you live in a world where there are 29 ****ty GMs every year. Anyway have fun with that.

I never said that.
To me a measure of a good gm is putting together a balanced consistent team with a clear plan while being smart financially.
If you look at his track record before 2005 his plan seemed to be to just outspend everyone and sign the biggest names available. Most of these players were on the downswing career wise which led to either just making or just missing the playoffs. Which meant that any player they drafted was mid first round, being a few years away from making an impact, if at all. EXACTLY like john fergusen did in toronto. Lundqvist was a fluke draft.....7th round. you cant say he was expected to be a franchise goalie. If sather knew he was this good but waited till late rounds to draft him and risked another team picking him then he should be fired for that alone.
Current rangers team is showing improvement but brad richards was given a big contract and has not performed up to standard. He traded for rick nash, a player with another big contract who put up decent goal totals for cbj, but now that hes not the only on the team who can score his totals have dropped, and he does not have a history of being a playmaker.
Derek Stepan was drafted by the rangers in the 2nd round and was the leading scorer last season. But he is not in camp because he is unsigned and snould get a nice raise over the $875k he earned last season.
Lundqvist is a ufa at the end of the season and does not want to negotiate during the season.If he goes to free agency and a team with a better cup chance offers more money than the rangers can why would he turn it down?
Once/if Stepan is signed and you consider the contracts of nash and richards how much is left? Lundqvist made $6.8m this year and you gotta think that is just a minimum starting point for the next contract. The team knew all season that the cap was dropping next season, so that is no excuse for not being prepared. Managing the cap is a big part of a gm's job now and imo sather has done just ok, nothing to really make him stand out from anyone else.

Now give me reasons why he is "so great."

The Rags have been a disaster? They have been Stanley Cup contenders for years.

Just my opinion but this is a stretch. On paper the rangers may have been cup contenders but in reality they've a team of over paid under achievers back stopped by an awesome goaltender.

But I'm just a life long isles fan so you can just ignore me! :)

Just to be clear. You mentioned Sather as being the worst GM in the NHL. 30th out of 30. The WORST ONE. Ugh... I can't believe I'm defending the New York goddamn Rangers - I feel so dirty.

I never said that.
To me a measure of a good gm is putting together a balanced consistent team with a clear plan while being smart financially.

What does being "smart financially" mean? Does it mean not handing out bad contracts now that there's a Salary Cap? Because it seems that with all the terrible deals given out, these GMs keep finding ways to get out of them. The cap is more of a nuisance than anything else. In 5 years it'll be so high that it won't even matter anymore, anyway.
Does it mean not spending so much that you can't afford other players? Because this doesn't apply in New York. It's a problem in Phoenix and Dallas sure, but not in the big apple.

But lets look at the terrible deals that supposedly hamstrung the Rags from being successful:
Holik - bought out, not my money, don't care.
Gomez - managed to trade him to Montreal in a moment of amazing wizardy.
Redden - was buried in minors, bought out, again not my money, don't care.
Drury - man did this guy suck after being paid $7M/season. Big Sather mistake for sure.

If you look at his track record before 2005 his plan seemed to be to just outspend everyone and sign the biggest names available. Most of these players were on the downswing career wise which led to either just making or just missing the playoffs. Which meant that any player they drafted was mid first round, being a few years away from making an impact, if at all.

The Rangers would sign the top free agents available every summer. They'd throw out huge $$ because they could afford it. What do we care if someone wants to spend that much money? His boss certainly doesn't.

EXACTLY like john fergusen did in toronto.

What? No. Ferguson could never land those top players because he was too busy handing out NTC's like candy to the current aging core. I think you're thinking of Quinn before the cap - the Leafs would move 1st round picks and replace that talent with UFAs because they could afford to. But again - not my money so I really don't care who spends what.

Sather brought in Jagr for... Anson Carter. Yeah. Jagr was a beast for them. He also got Bure for something so insigificant I can't even think of what it was, and Lindros wasn't a FA he was traded for nothing as well. Bure was then destroyed by injuries and same with Lindros, but that's not really the GM's fault.

Lundqvist was a fluke draft.....7th round.
Sure. So they got lucky there, like Detroit with Zetts. But you know what - they still got them, and 29 other teams didn't. Now cherry-pick the Rags' good picks in rounds 1-3 please.

BRAD RICHARDS SUCKS
There were 4 teams all trying to sign this guy for ridiculous money if I recall correctly. If Sather is a bad GM for this, then so is Feaster, Burke, Lombardi, and Yzerman. Once again, the Rags landed the #1 UFA on the market.
If they did say they made a mistake and bought him out this summer, guess who would have automatically become the top UFA again? This isn't really a mistake - lets see what happens in a full season.

NASH SUCKS
This guy was traded for Anisimov, Dubinsky, and a first. He also got 42 points in 44 games last season (21G 21A). How is that anything but good? Again - we need to see what a full season can bring.

Now give me reasons why he is "so great."
He's not "so great". He's no magician. He's made several mistakes that hindsight can easily point out, but he's also done some good things. Most importantly, he's done a good enough job to stay in NY for 13 years, which is pretty damn good in a world where most people with the same job don't even get their 5-year pin.

You said he is one of the worst, if not THE WORST, and that is extremely far-removed from reality. Now drop the effing puck so we can all watch some hockey!

Of course he got nash cheap, he asked to be traded which lowers the return significantly.
As far as " not my money ,who cares" not every owner has the money to continually absorb these contracts. Wanna guess one of the reasons ticket prices keep going up? It sets a standard for other negotiations.
Being smart financially would managing the cap to be able to keep your most valuable players. Im still not convinced he is going to be able to afford lundqvist. Of course alot of teams wanted Nash, he is a top goal scorer, but his contract is ridiculous. Alot of teams passed because of it. It could very well end up costing the rangers Lundqvist. Bobby ryan is younger and puts up comparable numbers for $2mill less. And if you believe some commentators he was available at the same time
Sather and James Dolan have been very good friends for a long time.job security is alot easier in that situation.

And the oil will make the playoffs this year

Bwahahaha, Tim Thomas is "trying out" for Florida. **** that guy, and shame on Florida for allowing it, though I do understand why they're so desperate.

Bwahahaha, Tim Thomas is "trying out" for Florida. **** that guy, and shame on Florida for allowing it, though I do understand why they're so desperate.

Not sure who raised him to god status in Boston, tuuuuk has been the better of the two since he signed. I'm grateful for his Stanley cup winning luck, but short of that... good luck in Florida.

Back