Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very sad today. The best time of year should be starting tonight.....

I hope we actually get a winter this year, there's a park rink half a block up the road. Hardly a slush pile last year, but it years past it's been hours of fun.

Tell me about it. Winter 2010-2011 was awesome. We were out at my buddy's pond every single Sunday. Used his ATV with a plow to shovel the thing, 2 nets, lots of friends, cold BMC light beer, we even dragged an old wood stove down and had that going. Amazing times.

Last winter - we got out once. ONCE. ONE EFFING DAY.

Ugh. I'm wrong. It's the start of the season, but they are playing both nights at RPI this weekend. Home next weekend against Mercyhurst.

It's the final season of the CCHA. Looking for the Dogs to go up against the Broncos for the CCHA championship.

Tell me about it. Winter 2010-2011 was awesome. We were out at my buddy's pond every single Sunday. Used his ATV with a plow to shovel the thing, 2 nets, lots of friends, cold BMC light beer, we even dragged an old wood stove down and had that going. Amazing times.

Last winter - we got out once. ONCE. ONE EFFING DAY.

I know man. Last winter it snowed twice here and was regularly above freezing. The winter before, ~84" of snow, had to take my snow blower to the rink most times to skate, only once got above freezing for a couple days. My wife thinks it'll be cold here this year, I'm hoping she's right!

+1.

Big Rapids used to flood the soccer fields down by the hospital in the winter. A friend and I would sometimes go down there and pass the puck around.

Ferris has open skate at Ewigleben Ice Area and it's pretty cheap. Great way to get your ankles and balance in shape.

The 1/2 sheet on the other side of the locker rooms is where they have drop-in hockey. If you are half-assed on your skates, it's a good time. The skill level of the guys we played with was all over the map. Everything from barely being able to get up and down the ice before the puck did twice, to some fancy European players who could keep the puck away from 3 guys at the same time.

Everyone just takes their shift and guys jump over when it's their turn.

The Peewee kids play on that 1/2 sheet too. I always liked going in early to watch them play before the drop-in started.

Speaking of Ferris, I think their first home games are this weekend!!

I remember being a kid going to the school next to the hospital and everything flooding with water and then freezing. And I often forget about Ferris' open skate at the rink. In high school our gym class used to go to the half-rink and play broom ball, that was pretty fun too. Last winter there wasn't much ice in the area. I know most of the people who were ice fishing were some shade of crazy.

Went to the opening night of the Chicago Wolves vs the Rockford Icehogs last night. As expected the crowd was split about 50/50 since the Icehogs are the Blackhawks AHL team. The game itself was actually very uneventful even with some good players on the Icehogs. Went to a shootout (which was exciting, some sick moves).

Now I'm drinking my experimental batch:

Went to the opening night of the Chicago Wolves vs the Rockford Icehogs last night. As expected the crowd was split about 50/50 since the Icehogs are the Blackhawks AHL team. The game itself was actually very uneventful even with some good players on the Icehogs. Went to a shootout (which was exciting, some sick moves).

Now I'm drinking my experimental batch:

How'd the Hogs look?

arturo7 said:
Any player who joined a European team should not be allowed a vote on the contract.

That's stupid.... Everyone needs a pay cheque. These guys are just supposed to sit around and wait for a deal? Terrible idea

rjwhite41 said:
I didn't give a second thought to anyone playing overseas until I watched the KHL game last night on ESPN2 and Barry Melrose (I know, I know) started talking about how the low level guys can't go do that. The guys making league minimum (you know, the guys who actually depend on these paychecks) can't just get a job in Europe or Russia. They have to tough it out with no income coming in while the guys getting millions get paid slightly less millions during the lockout to play elesewhere. I actually agreed with Melrose, that's not solidarity in my eyes. Ovechkin doesn't care if the lockout lasts a year, he's got a job. By the way, did anyone see his goal last night? What was that crap?

Lastly, may we suggest you remove your hat for a moment of silence for the legendary Budd Lynch. You will be missed at the Joe. RIP.

Those guys making the league min made $525,000 last year. Now they are getting $10,000 per month strike pay. If they're having trouble paying bills, they're idiots.

That being said, I'm on the player's side. The owners signed those contracts in good faith and they should pay them out. Especially when revenue keeps going up every year.

Flycal6 said:
Those guys making the league min made $525,000 last year. Now they are getting $10,000 per month strike pay. If they're having trouble paying bills, they're idiots.

That being said, I'm on the player's side. The owners signed those contracts in good faith and they should pay them out. Especially when revenue keeps going up every year.

Ya I agree you should be able to pay your bills with what they made. But that's not to say that those guys don't have a more expensive life style than everyone else. Not saying they need it just saying they live it

Ya I agree you should be able to pay your bills with what they made. But that's not to say that those guys don't have a more expensive life style than everyone else. Not saying they need it just saying they live it

Exactly. There is no way anybody could have forseen this happening last year, or even farther back, and made plans appropriately. ;)

Homercidal said:
Exactly. There is no way anybody could have forseen this happening last year, or even farther back, and made plans appropriately. ;)

True enough, my point is that they should be able to go overseas.

If you're a pro, you obviously love hockey. I imagine some players look to the other leagues as a way to keep in shape and stay competitive. Yes, there's a paycheck, but for guys who've already spent years in the NHL I can't imagine the international leagues pay quite as much. I'm actually trying to find some information on the pay differences but having difficulty finding anything about what anyone is getting paid. Guess that means they aren't :p

dudius said:
If you're a pro, you obviously love hockey. I imagine some players look to the other leagues as a way to keep in shape and stay competitive. Yes, there's a paycheck, but for guys who've already spent years in the NHL I can't imagine the international leagues pay quite as much. I'm actually trying to find some information on the pay differences but having difficulty finding anything about what anyone is getting paid. Guess that means they aren't :p

They can pay up to 65% of what the N gives them when they go to the K, don't know if they are getting that much. I would think the guys from Russia would get bigger money being the hometown kids.

That's called financial planning and living below your means. It's called having 3-6 months of your coat of living minimum set aside for those unforeseen circumstances. Of all people, making $500,000 should be easy to work that out. Live on $100,000-$150,000 and bank the rest.

It's called being an adult and being responsible.

$10,000/month strike pat is $120,000 and should keep someone in a $100-$150k lifestyle afloat.

And you should be paying cash for everything and carry zero debt with that kind of income.

Not saying that I think this should happen just saying I think it probably does. A kid comes into the NHL at 18 and signs his 500k dollar contract. Buys probably 2 houses (one at home and one where he plays) and assumes he will have the money to continue to pay his bills. I get the financial planning thing but if your a grinder who makes 400k a year and you have a house and a family, your probably depending on your pay cheque.

jtkratzer said:
That's called financial planning and living below your means. It's called having 3-6 months of your coat of living minimum set aside for those unforeseen circumstances. Of all people, making $500,000 should be easy to work that out. Live on $100,000-$150,000 and bank the rest.

$10,000/month strike pat is $120,000 and should keep someone in a $100-$150k lifestyle afloat.

And you should be paying cash for everything and carry zero debt with that kind of income.

I'm not gonna pretend I know how any NHL players manage their finances, but I can imagine a lot of them would be fine without playing a game this season. I'm happy to see some of my Red Wings are playing in the meantime, I gotta figure out how to watch some of those games.

Not saying that I think this should happen just saying I think it probably does. A kid comes into the NHL at 18 and signs his 500k dollar contract. Buys probably 2 houses (one at home and one where he plays) and assumes he will have the money to continue to pay his bills. I get the financial planning thing but if your a grinder who makes 400k a year and you have a house and a family, your probably depending on your pay cheque.

Most rookies continue to live at home for a couple years and then purchase a condo near their home rink with a teammate or two.

Remember an ELC isn't guaranteed money. Most rookies don't play in the NHL right away, and instead are subject to their AHL salary (if they even play there). If they play in junior (which most 18 year olds do), they are paid next to nothing.

If you're not a top 3 pick, chances are you're looking at a few years of development before you hit the big leagues. You're not going to hit that big payday until your first extension kicks in. This is typically when you're around 24 years old.

I'm not gonna pretend I know how any NHL players manage their finances, but I can imagine a lot of them would be fine without playing a game this season. I'm happy to see some of my Red Wings are playing in the meantime, I gotta figure out how to watch some of those games.

Retired players will tell you that after a lifetime of living and breathing hockey, the hardest thing to do is separate yourself from the game when you're done. You've had this sport dictating every single moment of your life since you were 8 years old, and then all of a sudden it's gone.

I think this is what will drive the players to fracture. But as each day passes I care less and less.

jtkratzer said:

I totally agree.

And as for the rookies on 2 way contracts, either they got assigned to the AHL and they're still getting paid what they're used too, or they got stuck with the big club and they get 10k per month strike pay.

paulster2626 said:
...as each day passes I care less and less.

I wish I felt this way, but I'm the perfect sucker for NHL owners. As soon as the lockout ends, I know I'll buy gamecenter and watch as many games as I can.

Coming from a slightly different perspective... I made the happy discovery last year that SWMBO really digs hockey, and we've been making it a point to catch as many Friday night home games for the local AHL team as we can. Happily, they're not locked out and the talent level they're seeing right now is just a bit enhanced over last year since some of the younger locked out players are stashed on farm teams. But if this lock out gets worked out, we'll be in for a rude awakening when the talent level changes. At least it should happen pretty much equally across the board...

I still can't believe the NHL is going this direction again though, so soon after they lost an entire season... Did they learn NOTHING the last time this happened? They've only just started to recover their popularity again in the last couple years.

I still can't believe the NHL is going this direction again though, so soon after they lost an entire season... Did they learn NOTHING the last time this happened? They've only just started to recover their popularity again in the last couple years.

What they learned is that the league rebounded after a few years and are now making much more money. And they want a bigger slice of that pie.

Right now I am doing fine. I am getting things done at home and can always go to some college and AHL games. But I know when the league starts up again I'll be tuning in.

50/50 split proposed by NHL today. No rollbacks. 82 game season starting Nov 2 - nobody loses pay. ELC goes to 4 years. Max 5 year contract length. UFA at 28. Revenue sharing increases to $200M.

This is a solid proposal. Take it you NHLPA bums.

If the NHLPA rejects the offer I think they will lose some of that coveted public opinion they enjoy against those greedy owners. This is a big move by the NHL and I'm glad they made it.

The basics look like a deal the NHLPA should strongly consider accepting. However, we haven't heard anything about the rest of the deal. I've seen plenty of "concessions" that come with screw-yous in other parts of the contract.

I hope it works out, because I'm afraid if the deal isn't accepted we won't have hockey this season.

Homercidal said:
The basics look like a deal the NHLPA should strongly consider accepting. However, we haven't heard anything about the rest of the deal. I've seen plenty of "concessions" that come with screw-yous in other parts of the contract.

I hope it works out, because I'm afraid if the deal isn't accepted we won't have hockey this season.

It all comes down to what that dummy Fehr throws back at the league tomorrow. He has to counter it with something.

At this point all I'd like to see is a player vote in 8 days. I think they're not as unified as they'd like us to believe.

paulster2626 said:
At this point all I'd like to see is a player vote in 8 days. I think they're not as unified as they'd like us to believe.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Most of the interviews I've seen, the players have just seemed to be reluctant to speak out even a little bit against the PA (ie "their fellow players"), but really just want to play hockey.

I think they are unified, at least more than last time by a lot, but everyone knows the league is going to get the advantage. This deal seems to be quite a lot better for the players than the first few offers. It really looks to me like something they can work from to reach an agreement. The league has even come down on some of the secondary issues.

The players just need to decide how much they are going to accept being screwed. I think they realize their position and really want to get playing.

And the bar and restaurant staff, and people who work for the league, and ticket resellers, and Vegas betting dudes, and charities, and stores who sell merchandise, and people who work for various tv networks... Can we think of more?

And the bar and restaurant staff, and people who work for the league, and ticket resellers, and Vegas betting dudes, and charities, and stores who sell merchandise, and people who work for various tv networks... Can we think of more?

I can, but I'm trying to stay positive today. Hoping for some good news! <--Herbert the Pervert voice.

3 counter offers by NHLPA today and they took a step "backwards". Cancel the Classic, lay-off some Bar-Maids, put Don Cherry's suits into long term storage, and fire me up some college hockey. I'm done with Fehr and his juvenile tactics. Only he would be so asinine as to kill any momentum in the face of an increasingly apathetic national view.

solbes said:
3 counter offers by NHLPA today and they took a step "backwards". Cancel the Classic, lay-off some Bar-Maids, put Don Cherry's suits into long term storage, and fire me up some college hockey. I'm done with Fehr and his juvenile tactics. Only he would be so asinine as to kill any momentum in the face of an increasingly apathetic national view.

I'm looking at AHL tickets right now.

Latest posts

Back