Enough is Enough!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
Hello....my name is Jason and I am a Mr. Beer user...and I am sick of it!!!

So, with that being said, I am going to convert over to a decent setup. I am looking at 3 to start with. Homebrewheaven because it comes with the wort chiller and racking cane, Morebeer.com (intermediate) because it comes with free shiping and the basics, and Austinhomebrew because it comes ready to MM and has a glass upgrade available. I would love some suggestions and/or other sites/add ons...etc. I have no access to a HBS locally, so keep it online, please. Even just list of equipment that maybe you wish you would have had at the beginning. Thanks, all!

:mug:

A wort chiller is a nice piece of equipment to own. Ice baths suck big time.

Don't get into the mentality that glass is better. Period.
Better bottles have many advantages. The biggest being that they are lighter and won't give you a 7" battle scar on your hand should gravity overwhelm your ability to grip a wet carboy...

As far as suppliers, I use Austin primarily b/c they shipping is 6$ and it gets here (NY) in a reasonable amount of time (unlike morebeer).

I've been very happy with my purchases from Northern Brewer, as well. Shipments always seem to get here quickly, prices seem fair.

I am pretty new to the hobby (born-again) :) and I agree that northernbrewer is great.

Glass carboys can often be found locally for their deposit. Check with whole foods type stores or a local bottled water company. Not all of them use glass, but some do and $10 deposit is a bargain. Also check out the scrap yards for kegs if you are thinking of going the Keggle route. I saw about 40 at my local yesterday. At $1 a pound it is a steal.

rdwj said:
I always thought Midwest has a nice selection of kits. There are upgrades available too

Midwest is where I got my kit from, though I did buys some stuff through Northern Brewer.

NB seems to ship faster than does Midwest.

Anyone have experience with homebrewheaven.com? Seems like a really neat site......

Kayos said:
Anyone have experience with homebrewheaven.com? Seems like a really neat site......

I have bought some items from them in the past. Shipping was pretty fast. Packaging was very good! It has been some time since I ordered from them, but I can say from my past experiences that you can buy from them with confidence.

John

not an 'end all to be all', but go to youtube and search on homebrew. It certainly can give you a good perspective.

Just to throw out there, Williams Brewing's prices seem to be really, really high. I just got their catalogue yesterday with the O2 kit I bought, and almost everything I saw in there was expensive. $35 for a carboy, as an example.

Midwest has good beginner kits, and Northern Brewer seems to have very fair prices (as well as the fast shipments mentioned earlier).

:cross: You guys continue to be top notch. This is the only forum where no one seems to enjoy berading other members. Although this is the only "beer" forum I am in.......hmmmm.......

Kayos said:
:cross: You guys continue to be top notch. This is the only forum where no one seems to enjoy berading other members. Although this is the only "beer" forum I am in.......hmmmm.......

I notice that too in other forums (not beer related). Beer folk are good folk.

Prost

Back