Enamel Pot Reuse/Repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsb

Reaction score
I have a 4-gallon enamel pot that I used back in the 90s as my primary brew pot. I know people warn against using them as brew pots as when they chip, they rust and impart yada, yada, yada...

Well, I am moving to all grain, and I now have an SS 8 gallon brewpot, so that is not an issue. However, I would still like to use the enamel pot specifically for sparge water, nothing else. The pot has a minor chip in it, maybe half the size of an average fingernail. Should I/ could I repair it, or even worry about it as I am only going to use it for sparge?

If I choose to repair it, how would I go about it?

I'd definately worry about it, especially if the chip is below the water line. Rust is not a beasty that can be boiled away, and it doesn't take much of it to ruin a batch. The chip can be fixed easily enough, but keep in mind that you're likely to get more chips in the future.

Well, some say yes, some say no. I am unwilling to take a chance for the $40 cost of a new 5 gallon SS pot. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not saying don't use it. Just patch the chip before use and inspect it for additional chipping regularly and it should be fine.

Back