Empty Fermenters, Need a new Brew to Please the girlfriend..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotivationDedication

Reaction score
My fermenters are empty, and that is making me quite sad.

Also I need a hit recipe that will please the girlfriend as she has grown tired of hearing of my love for brewing and needs some convincing. I'm still on extract brewing (haven't made the switch yet), and was wondering if you gents and ladies had any ideas for me to try out. She's not a huge beer fan so I'm supposing a fruit wheat (although not my favorite), will probably be in the general realm of what she'll end up liking...

Any suggestions?

I have made a strawberry ale several times, my Wife loves it. See what her favorite fruit or berry is and make something accordingly. The Strawberry Ale came out so well I even enjoyed a fair few pints from that keg

I have made a strawberry ale several times, my Wife loves it. See what her favorite fruit or berry is and make something accordingly. The Strawberry Ale came out so well I even enjoyed a fair few pints from that keg

rwq. I found a wicked strawberry blonde clone on google..

Her's would likely be raspberry or strawberry as well. I've been leery of using a flavoring extract in brewing and prefer to use actual fruit. Was yours off of flavoring or actual fruit and if not does anyone know how to substitute properly. (approximate lbs of puree or fruit to match amount of flavoring; don't want it to be too overpowering)

Why not try a batch of Apfelwein for her?

I had never heard of that so i searched and it seems pretty simple and looks to be cheaper than a batch of weiss, it's on the to do list now

Not a beer fan or not a craft beer/ homebrew fan? My wife doesn't like any of the styles I do (just about anything not sour and not BMC) and usually drinks bud light (I know, don't judge!!!). She has tried several different brews but it just doesn't do it for her, even the pilsner from Trinity brewing was "meh." The only beer she really like was Pagosa Brewing Co.'s Kayaker Cream Ale. I wrote Tony (the brewer) and he was kind enough to send me his recipe. I brewed it and she likes it, bugging me to brew more, and once it aged about a month it really came into its own as a good solid session beer. About as close as you can get to brewing a light ale and pretty tasty.

Basic paramaters from Tony:
Malt: 1.043 OG
90% 2-Row
7% Biscuit
3% Cara-pils
(You can also substitute a nominal % of flaked corn or corn sugar to
achieve a more light-bodied, Cream Ale-like beer.)

Hops: German Noble - 14 IBUs

What I brewed:

Colorado Cream Ale
All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Efficiency: 72.00
ABV: 4.24%
SRM: 4.6
IBU: 14
Original Gravity Target: 1.043 SG
Final Gravity Target : 1.008 SG

7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 85.54 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.52 %
8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 5.52 %
5.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.42 %
60 min 0.50 oz Saaz [6.80 %] (60 min) Hops
30 min 0.50 oz Hallertauer [3.80 %] (30 min) Hops
5 min 0.25 oz Tettnang [3.90 %] (5 min) Hops

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
60 min Mash 151-152* F

Cheers :mug:

I brewed a Witbier for my girlfriend and I'm still stuck with bottles that have gone past their prime, even with the Holidays behind us. I wouldn't brew a 5 gallon batch just to try to have her love my home brew. 3 gallon maybe, unless it was something I also liked, but I have stopped trying to convert her.

I brewed a Witbier for my girlfriend and I'm still stuck with bottles that have gone past their prime, even with the Holidays behind us. I wouldn't brew a 5 gallon batch just to try to have her love my home brew. 3 gallon maybe, unless it was something I also liked, but I have stopped trying to convert her.

I should probably do the same and not try while I'm ahead, but I gotta give it at least one shot..

and thanks for the tip... I'm so used to 5 gallon batches I hadn't thought about downsizing. Great idea.

Her's would likely be raspberry or strawberry as well. I've been leery of using a flavoring extract in brewing and prefer to use actual fruit. Was yours off of flavoring or actual fruit and if not does anyone know how to substitute properly. (approximate lbs of puree or fruit to match amount of flavoring; don't want it to be too overpowering)

I had never heard of that so i searched and it seems pretty simple and looks to be cheaper than a batch of weiss, it's on the to do list now

actual fruit. ALWAYS. i've never used an extract or a flavoring just like i've never done an extract beer. I do all grain and always use fresh/frozen/dried fruit (usually in combination)

When I work with fruit I puree it the night before and mix in some pectic enzyme (to cut down on pectin haze) and let it sit overnight. Usually I'll toss some puree in the last 10 or so of the boil. the rest gets added to the fermenter. (use a blow off, fruit beers blow big during ferment) then for an extra kick I dehydrate some of the fruit I am using and put some in a muslin hop bag in the keg when i keg it. I've had fantastic results from doing this:mug:

I'm fermenting a Raspberry Honey Wheat right now. I did a simple extract brew of my own recipe with honey malt, dry wheat extract, and hallertau hops, and am adding raspberry flavoring at bottling. Can't tell you if it's any good though as of yet

She's not a huge beer fan so I'm supposing a fruit wheat...

If you have some time to age it out I would suggest a nice chocolate stout back sweetend with some lactose.

True story: I am sure about 1 year ago my SWMBO said, "I hate dark beer and especially Guinness!". Well, the times they have changed. She LOVES Youngs DCS. She will now try any stout she sees and gets sad if it is on CO2...even Guinness!

I will also put this out there: Boobs =/= Wheat beer, however, I have yet to find a woman that does not like chocolate...I would brew her up a Wit but in about 3-4 months when it is warmer outside.

If you have some time to age it out I would suggest a nice chocolate stout back sweetend with some lactose.

True story: I am sure about 1 year ago my SWMBO said, "I hate dark beer and especially Guinness!". Well, the times they have changed. She LOVES Youngs DCS. She will now try any stout she sees and gets sad if it is on CO2...even Guinness!

I will also put this out there: Boobs =/= Wheat beer, however, I have yet to find a woman that does not like chocolate...I would brew her up a Wit but in about 3-4 months when it is warmer outside.
Was just about to recommend the chocolate stout. Just finished reading the inaugural issue of Beer West (formally Beer Northwest) and the chocolate stout was also recommended for girlfriends who normally don't like beer.

I'm starting to wonder if brewing for your significant other if she is not a beer drinker already might be wise. Maybe they're just playing us to make us feel better, like the times they do ribs behind our back and they come out all dry and burnt but we pretend to like it nonetheless ;)

I suspect that's what is going on at least in my household :D

I gotta tell you that the one thing I hate besides wheat beer (although AnOldUR made a pretty good one, and I didn't really hate it) is chocolate!

My best friend and I both despise chocolate. I think it's a mistake to assume that all women like chocolate or wheat beers! I can't stand chocolate, although some of my friends like it.

Remember that some people just don't like beer. Just like some people don't like brussel sprouts. Forcing the issue isn't going to win you any points.

Unless your SWMBO says, "I really like cream ale and wish you could make me one", I wouldn't even bother trying to brew for her. She'll feel obligated to like it but won't, and they'll be hurt feelings. Maybe she likes wine, cider, hard lemonade, mead, etc. It would be more rewarding to make something like that than to try to encourage a non-beer lover to like homebrew.

My fermenters are empty, and that is making me quite sad.

Also I need a hit recipe that will please the girlfriend as she has grown tired of hearing of my love for brewing and needs some convincing. I'm still on extract brewing (haven't made the switch yet), and was wondering if you gents and ladies had any ideas for me to try out. She's not a huge beer fan so I'm supposing a fruit wheat (although not my favorite), will probably be in the general realm of what she'll end up liking...

Any suggestions?

The good thing about my girl is she loves GOOD beer and has a distaste for Bud Light and their ilk as much as i do! she introduced me to Duck Rabbit's Milk Stout which is good. She stole the sample of South Hampton's Double White from me we got at the Ballpark Festival of Beers. Stole might be a bit harsh, more like traded. It was.. Here you finish this I want that! so we swapped glasses. Milk Stout for Double White. we each had half of both so all is good. Its alot of fun going to something like that with a girl who has your same interests in beer! and shes pretty good lookin to!

She's enjoyed all of the stuff I've made since i met her last august. The Hefe's her favorite thou.

I gotta tell you that the one thing I hate besides wheat beer (although AnOldUR made a pretty good one, and I didn't really hate it) is chocolate!

My best friend and I both despise chocolate. I think it's a mistake to assume that all women like chocolate or wheat beers! I can't stand chocolate, although some of my friends like it.

Yeah, but you are unique: women who homebrew, hunt, fish and play hockey are one of a kind, so it's within reason that you wouldn't like something all women crave, wich is chocolate.

Next up, you're going to fess up to hating diamonds :D

Yeah, but you are unique: women who homebrew, hunt, fish and play hockey are one of a kind, so it's within reason that you wouldn't like something all women crave, wich is chocolate.

Next up, you're going to fess up to hating diamonds :D

I don't wear jewelry, except for my wedding ring............:D

I made 2.5 gallons of Edworts Haus Pale Ale (click on recipe in my signature) and added 2 cans of Oregon Fruit raspberries and 1 can of blackberries after primary fermentation was over. Has a nice fruit flavor without being over the top.

Fruity enough for a woman, not too fruity for a man.

Without going the fruity route, I really surprised/pleased my wife when I made the AHS Lemongrass Wheat.

She loved it!

My wife doesn't like beer except for....Guiness Stout. Go figure.
Oh, she also loves Young's Double Chocolate Stout now. A bar near us serves it and she fell in love with it. I'm not sure it's the easiest thing to brew though.
However, a Guiness-type stout isn't too difficult to pull off. If YOU like it and it wouldn't be wasted, try it. You never know.

My girlfriend cant stand beer, or wine, or straight alcohol. Just mixed drinks with more sugar then a bakery. It makes me a bit sad, and hurts my wallet when we go out, but I cant change it.

I'm planning at some point to make her a mikes hard clone, I know she'll drink that.

My wife doesn't like beer except for....Guiness Stout. Go figure.
Oh, she also loves Young's Double Chocolate Stout now. A bar near us serves it and she fell in love with it. I'm not sure it's the easiest thing to brew though.
However, a Guiness-type stout isn't too difficult to pull off. If YOU like it and it wouldn't be wasted, try it. You never know.

Brew Deception Stout in my sig for something VERY similar to Youngs.

I doubled the lactose and primed with brown sugar - Everyone that has tried it raves about it. IMO it is MUCH better than Youngs..

For something quick and easy, I've done a Brewers Best American Light kit then added 4oz of Strawberry Extract (found at LHBS) to the bottling bucket and it's come out great both times I've done it and the wife really enjoys it.

My fiancee has been bugging me to brew something she will like for awhile now since my last few batches have been IPAs, which she hates. I was thinking of brewing a fruity beer but my sister gave me "Extreme Brewing" for xmas and the "Wildflower Wheat" looked intriguing so I am gonna give it a shot!

Anyone else have experience with this beer and how it turns out?

Brew Deception Stout in my sig for something VERY similar to Youngs.

I doubled the lactose and primed with brown sugar - Everyone that has tried it raves about it. IMO it is MUCH better than Youngs..

Printing the recipe as we speak; thanks!! Looks great.
I'll let you know what Mrs. Poppatopolis says!

I appreciate all the responses guys, I'm liking the idea of the deception stout with the doubled lactose too! I'm adding it to my recipes to do

It's not a short term brew, but for the sake of being different I'm going to recommend a Belgian Tripel. It's got a nice spiciness to it with lots of complex flavors and isn't very hoppy, which usually takes some time for folks new to beer to learn to enjoy. It also isn't overly malty-tasting so it's a very drinkable beer. And to top it off, it has a nice alcohol kick! You show me a girl that says she doesn't like a good buzz and I'll show you a liar!

Plan B: get a new girlfriend. Mine has been begging me to brew her a big IPA. But she's mine, you'll have to find your own.

Good luck my friend!

you cant go wrong with wheat beers. they are sweet, fruity and help lower cloth to skin resistance making em easier to come off.

I think the best solution to this would be to make a bunch of 1 gallon batches with different recipes until you find one she likes. Doesn't take too long, doesn't take up much space, the cost is nominal compared to five/ten gallon batches, etc.

With my gf, I tried wheats, chocolates stouts, fruit ales, etc. In the end it was a kind of belgian IPA, either backsweetened or mashed warmer, and fermented almost too hot, so it's full of esters and yeast flavors.

Latest posts

Back