American Brown Ale Elk Drool Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP005
Yeast Starter
Yes - 750 mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 68*F
Tasting Notes
Very similar to Big Sky Brewery\'s Moose Drool
This beer won a bronze medal at the 2009 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition -- scored a 36.5
This beer won a gold certificate at the 2009 SW Regional of the AHA NHC (scored a 39). I talked with one of the judges and he fought for it in the mini-BOS for category 10 - it was the only 10C to make the mini-BOS

:mug:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP005 British Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 6.0
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.011
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21

Ingredients
9.00 lb 2-row
1.00 lb Crystal 60L
0.50 lb Crystal 20L
0.50 lb Carapils
0.50 lb Flaked Oats
0.33 lb Chocolate Malt
0.13 lb Black Patent Malt

1 oz. East Kent Goldings (FWH)
1 oz. Liberty (30 min)
1 oz. Willamette (15 min)
1 oz. Liberty (0 min)

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, No Mash-Out Double Batch Sparge
Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb
Sparge Temperature: 188.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.1 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.7 gallons of water
155*F mash for 60 minutes

74% efficiency

Is it a MooseDrool clone?

*edit, read recipe* How close did it turn out? have you done a side by side?
*edit take 2, read notes above recipe* Good deal. I have a similar one in line since my bro (live in Idaho 3 years) misses Moose Drool dearly and is gonna split ingredients with me.

Funny how Moose Drool is a classic example of an American Brown but clones will win in the English Brown category. I've done it myself.

Funny how Moose Drool is a classic example of an American Brown but clones will win in the English Brown category. I've done it myself.

I know - I was gonna enter in in the english brown category (english yeast, east kent golding hops), but the BJCP guidelines list Moose Drool as a 10C (American Brown)

I did a side-by-side last night.

mine is a tiny bit sweeter and a little bit less "smokey" than Moose Drool. I like mine better :D

Probably need to mash a little lower to get the sweetness dialed into MD, but not sure about the smokey-ness.

Can someone help me out and post a 11gal recipe for this as I would like to give this a whirl this weekend, also a dry yeast that will work.

Thanks

:rockin:

So I received the tasting notes back on this beer.

"Well done brew. highly carbonated. Only real flaw that kept this out of excellent was carbonation."

"This was a really good beer. The carbonation, per guidelines can be medium to high. Excellent use of hops and malt. Very good job."

"Maybe a touch more body would help smooth out this otherwise great beer."

"Malty sweet, hoppy flavor appropriate to style."

i get 28 with:

4.5% goldings
2.5% hersbrucker (subbing for liberty)
4.8% williamette

i don't know where i'm going with this, lol. i had a point when i asked this morning....

I just listened to the cybi and here is the recipe they used to "clone" it:

WLP002
Ferment 67 ramp to 70
70% efficiency
7.27 preboil
6 gallon batch
SG = 1.052
IBU – 30

10.8 lb Pale 2 Row
5.5 oz Chocolate (400-420)
1.25 lb Crystal 75 or 80
.5 oz Black Patent (500-525)

1.4 oz East Kent Golding 4.75% 60 min
.6 oz Willamette 10 min
.6 oz Liberty

Mash 154*

These were my quick notes while sitting at work....

After 17 days in primary I just took my first sample. Delicious! Will probably just leave it there instead of going to secondary.

I ended up with only 4.75 gallons in primary, so my OG was higher at 1.065. Final gravity is at 1.011. I used Wyeast 1272 - American Ale II as my yeast and very pleased with it. Here is my hops list:

1.5 oz Fuggles 4% (First Wort Hop)
1.0 oz Liberty 3% (30 mins)
1.5 oz Willamette 4.5% (15 mins)
1.0 oz Liberty 3% (0 min)

My last few batches I have boiled off 0.5-1.0 gallons more than I expected. I will probably sparge an extra half gallon the next brewday.

Brewed a 10 gallon batch a week ago. At 1.011 today. Racked to secondary. Sample was mighty tasty. Will update when beer is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You have NO idea how happy I am to see an AG Moose Drool clone! I hail from the Zoo (Missoula, home of Big Sky Brewery, for the uninitiated :p ) This is getting brewed IMMEDIATELY!!!!
Congrads!

Update.... This a mighty tasty brew. Will be doing again for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

@AZ_IPA-I have brewed your recipes in the past and enjoyed them, hats off to you. I see this thread started quite some time ago. Any adaptations? Perhaps using some carafa or debittered black to cut back on the roast/astringency? Just curious as these malts are alot more readily available nowadays. Cheers.

Brewed back on 11Jul2016. OG of 1.056. Held ferm temp at 68*. 6 days after pitching 1.012 waiting a few more days for another sample.

Back