Elements and Immersion Chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Temp81

Reaction score
I have a quick question for you electric brewing folks. I recently purchased a keg to convert into a keggle. My intent is to do mostly 5 gallon batches, and probably 10 gallon batches a couple times a year. My current burner will do 5 gallons no problem, but I for see there being some issues with boiling 10 gallon batches. What I was wanting to do was install a electric element in the keggle to help get things going on my brew day. My question pertains to getting an immersion chiller in the pot at the end of the boil while having the heating element sticking out into the middle of the keggle. Would an immersion chiller be too much weight sitting on the element? I haven't cut the top on the keg yet, so I am not sure how my chiller will fit in the keg. I just don't see there being enough room to get the chiller in with the element being in there too. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a 25ft copper herms coil mounted in my keggle above the element with no issues but with only 5 gallons of liquid I dont see it working unless half the coil is below the element. (You want to mount the element as low as possible in the keg btw) you may be better off using the removable element holder like the "hotrod" at brewhardware.com.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hotrod.htm

I will have to give that some food for thought. It's kind of a toss up for $50. I can buy $50 worth of copper and just install the chiller in the keggle, or I could do the hot stick option. I will have to think about it.

I will have to give that some food for thought. It's kind of a toss up for $50. I can buy $50 worth of copper and just install the chiller in the keggle, or I could do the hot stick option. I will have to think about it.

That coil is going to be a pain to clean in place every time.

That was exactly what I have been thinking, however I think it would depend on how you installed it (meaning how close to the outer wall, and how tight together the coils are).

Back