Elementary Mead Maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimmkeeper

Reaction score
..and another newbie! I'm currently reading a lot of posts on the forum so I can ask better questions. Seems like a nice forum! I look forward to learning, starting with why my first batch of peach mead which is rather cloudy. I'll read up some more and post.

Art

Hi Grimmkeeper - and welcome. There is likely a couple of reasons why a mead (or wine ) is cloudy. First, there are lots of fruit particles from the fruit you are fermenting that are kept suspended in solution because of the CO2 being produced. Unless you routinely remove the CO2 by stirring during active fermentation (and mead ain't beer - mead making ain't brewing. Brewers seal their fermenters and will not open them for fear of infections and other problems. Mead makers do not live with such concerns. Honey - and fruit are not the same as grains). Half the weight of the fermentables become CO2 . That is a lot of gas and if you are using a bung and airlock much/most of that gas is in the fermenting vessel. So, CO2 keeping fruit particles in suspension is one reason.
Another reason is that fruit have pectins (think jam or jelly) and if you applied heat - and again mead making is not brewing. Brewing involves heat. Mead making and wine making (for the most part) do not, but if applied any heat to the fruit you might have set the pectins. Even without heat the presence of pectins causes cloudiness. The solution is to add pectic enzyme (NOT pectins, but the enzymes to break down the pectins) . This is often done before you add (pitch) the yeast. This enzyme tends to become denatured in the presence of alcohol so if you add it after you have pitched the yeast you may need to add three or four times the normal amount.
Even if there is no substantial amount of CO2 in a wine or mead and even if you have added pectic enzymes you will still have all kinds of particles (tannins, yeast cells other organic molecules) floating. Comes from the fermentation process itself. Time will take care of this as gravity will slowly force these particles to drop out of suspension. Indeed, early in the fermentation process a major reason for cloudiness is the yeast itself. While alive and active they tend to be suspended. They drop to the floor as the cells stop being active (some die). One way to help clear a mead or wine is to add finings. You need to read up on what finings are available but they all basically work in the same way. They glom on to the particles and their added weight makes them drop out of suspension. The only finings I use are bentonite. But I rarely use finings and instead rely on time to clear my wines and meads.

bernardsmith,
Thanks for the reply. I did 3 gallons of 3 different meads as an experiment for my first try. Peach, blackberry and blueberry. Looking at them closer, the blackberry (Montrachet) and blueberry (EC1118) actually look pretty good with my new to this hobby eyeballs. It's the peach (Pasteur blanc) that looks like extra pulp added juice. But, what you are describing makes sense. (with all of them) I started by boiling the water and 3 pounds of honey for a short time and followed the instructions, and waited 30 days and racked into a bucket and added a pound of peaches. It stopped bubbling after about a week. So, I racked it back into a gallon jug and put the airlock back on. The peaches were mushy. It still doesn't bubble but it is clearing up a little and more yeast is on the bottom. I have campden tablets but I have not used them.

I think I'll do like you say and let time take over. Should I leave the airlock on, 30 days, rack airlock 30 and rack, repeat? Or should I bottle and just wait a few months?

Thanks!
Art

Always best to age in a carboy. When you age wines or meads you can be certain that all kinds of particulates will flocculate and drop out of suspension. In a carboy that is never a problem as you can rack the mead or wine off the lees every two or three months. (I would rack onto crushed/dissolved campden tabs (1 per gallon) each time AFTER active fermentation has come to a complete stop) In a bottle those lees can become a problem, more a cosmetic problem than anything but still a problem.. Always easier to rack from a carboy than to uncork bottles and rack into a fresh bottle. I would bottle when no more particles are dropping out of suspension

Well then bernardsmith, that's exactly what I will do. I'm a pattern person. I just need a pattern! I'm going to have to get 3 more charboys to rack into unless I go back into the plastic buckets. The blackberry and blueberry are clear. The peach is still mushy looking. How long do you think? 6 months?

Thanks,
Art

With good protocol you can make a very drinkable mead in a few months if not weeks. Peach seems to be notorious for sludge. This may take a while to clear.
Once active fermentation has ended you do not want to store any wine or mead in a vessel with any amount of headroom. Air will tend to oxidize any fruit and oxidation results in flavors that you may not view as desirable. Honey may be less susceptible to oxidation (so "they" say) but why take a chance if you don't need to?

With good protocol you can make a very drinkable mead in a few months if not weeks. Peach seems to be notorious for sludge.

I’ll second that. I used to love peach. Now I hate it! Cranberry, cherry & blueberry are now my favorites.

Yeah, I'm learning quick about peach mead. I thought I was dredging off the bottom during my second rack but it was more like all the floaties from the peaches. More like a "Hairy" mead other than a "Fuzzy" one!

Art

After active fermentation has ended try cold crashing the mead in your fridge. Cold temperatures allow the particles to drop out of suspension (the yeast drop out and the CO2 becomes better absorbed by the liquid). You might find your peach clears a little more easily.

Don't be so quick to bottle. Look for smaller aging vessels...

After active fermentation has ended try cold crashing the mead in your fridge. Cold temperatures allow the particles to drop out of suspension (the yeast drop out and the CO2 becomes better absorbed by the liquid). You might find your peach clears a little more easily.

Don't be so quick to bottle. Look for smaller aging vessels...
Yup, most of the mess has settled to the bottom. That peach was so mushy and floaty to start with but it looks much better now. Next rack I will put it in the fridge and I'm sure that will be the cure.
Thanks!

Back