Electric BIAB Temp Prob Location for Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick sekerak

Reaction score
I just did my first batch (still fermenting) using my new electric kettle. Its on a 20 gal kettle and i used 8 gal for strike with 21 lb grain bill. It was a thick mash due to me false bottom sitting up at the 4.5 gal line. I recirculated the entire 60 min mash. I am thinking about lowering the FB two inches but have not decided 100%. I still was able to hit my OG numbers fine with this set up so not sure if it needs changed right away. Anyone recommend changing it?

My kettle mounted thermometer is at about the 5 to 5.5 gallon mark. I was able to hold may target mash temp of 152-154 really well. Currently i have a PID controller on the order and wanted to know where the best spot to put the temp prob for the controller. I will be installing a weldless compression fitting PCOMP4 from brewhardware.com. I was thinking below the false bottom at the same level as my heating elements but am not sure if that is the best location. Let me know your thoughts or recommendations. I want a second opinion before a drill a hole in my kettle.

I just did my first batch (still fermenting) using my new electric kettle. Its on a 20 gal kettle and i used 8 gal for strike with 21 lb grain bill. It was a thick mash due to me false bottom sitting up at the 4.5 gal line. I recirculated the entire 60 min mash. I am thinking about lowering the FB two inches but have not decided 100%. I still was able to hit my OG numbers fine with this set up so not sure if it needs changed right away. Anyone recommend changing it?

My kettle mounted thermometer is at about the 5 to 5.5 gallon mark. I was able to hold may target mash temp of 152-154 really well. Currently i have a PID controller on the order and wanted to know where the best spot to put the temp prob for the controller. I will be installing a weldless compression fitting PCOMP4 from brewhardware.com. I was thinking below the false bottom at the same level as my heating elements but am not sure if that is the best location. Let me know your thoughts or recommendations. I want a second opinion before a drill a hole in my kettle.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ebiab-newb.659625/#post-8466861

Brew on :mug:

The temp probe in my 20 gallon spike kettle is at the same height as my element which is right around to 2-2.5 gallon mark.
kettle_20.jpg

Back