Efficiency Of my first AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle23

Reaction score
So did my first AG yesterday. And it went ok. I just did the math and ended up the 62%efficiency. Is this not bad for a first time or is it aweful.

I know i did have alittle loss of wort and had to add water back because of a pump problem.(hose popped off)

thanks for the feedback guys.
:rockin:

I don't think you got an accurate % if you were adding water to replace lost wort.

The thing to remember is that efficiency isn't a race or competition. Sure there are things that you can control that lead to better efficiency, but what is important is that your efficiency is consistent from batch to batch whether it is 65% or 85%.

How did you calculate yours? What were your data points?

thanks for the advise. I plugged my OG in to hopville.com's Calculas and into beersmith. I thought that would be an accurate.

thanks for the advise. I plugged my OG in to hopville.com's Calculas and into beersmith. I thought that would be an accurate.

As long as your volumes were accurate it should be.

Try to get into the habit of taking a pre-boil reading as you normally have accurate volume data at that point and do not have to factor in loss to kettle or being absorbed by the hops.

Trying to calculate mash efficiency post boil introduces unknowns and inaccurate data.

Cool beans. I think i will do that next week when i do my AIPA again. Thanks for the help.

The thing to remember is that efficiency isn't a race or competition.

Sounds like a chump with low efficiency...

Kidding. Great advice - the preboil gravity is ESSENTIAL because you can react on the spot to fix any problems. Sometimes it's adding DME because your efficiency was too low, and in rarer cases you have to increase your hopping because your beer has unexpectedly become Imperial!

It's nice to have a wife who is a math and statistics major.. I pull off a sample hand it to her and once it's cool she let's me know my %. it's like having a calculator that really likes chocolate bock! God love a wife that brews( and is a pink boots member!) look it up.. Pinkbootssociety on google..

Back