Effect of Temp Swings on Kegged Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundownhouse

Reaction score
So my chest freezer only has room for 4 carboys and 3 cornies. I've got two lagers fermenting in the 4 carboys, so the temp is set at 50F. I've also got four cornies filled with finished/need lagering beers that don't fit in the chest freezer.

Now that the weather is getting cooler here in the south, can I stick my cornies outside so they age/condition more slowly? Temperature swings can be from the high 30s at night to ~65 during the day. I know yeast loves rock-steady fermentation temps, but when it comes to finished beer, will a temperature swing really hurt it, so I'm better off sitting them at a constant room temp? Or can I get them outside in order to get them more cold hours?

No, I'm in an apartment. I've got a small patio and a portion of it that is shady all day, so the sun warming it directly isn't a concern.

Meh. I'd keep it in a closet then. Not because it will get lightstruck but because the closet is not directly conditioned.

Back